About to buy a 7D next week I need some advise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 10th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Major Player

About to buy a 7D next week I need some advise

I'll be picking up a 7D next week I just need some help and advice on accessories and lens to camera adapters. I've been reading all the post here about different lenses so based on what I read I've decided to get the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as my first zoom lens.
I already have a Zeiss planar 1.4/50 ZF which I've been using on my JVC GY-HM100 and letus mini but now I'd like to use it on my 7D. My question is what kind of adapter ring do I need to get?
I also plan on getting the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 in a few weeks do I need a different adapter for that as well?

Also how many batteries and CF mem cards (16GB) do I need to get for 1 hour recording time and which speed or class CF cards do you recommend? I know 133X is the minimum but should I go for minimum, what is the advantage here in speed is it just the upload time? Do the more expensive canon batteries last longer than the cheaper ones has anyone tried the new Series 7 batteries? Series 7 Battery, The only Professional DV Battery System
What kind if ND filter and vari ND filter do you recommend? thanks!

Oh almost forgot to ask did Magic Lantern ever come up with a firmware update for the 7D?
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I just noticed this.HDSLR PowerBase 70: battery pack for your 5DMrkII or 7D | Canon 5D tips Is anyone using this yet?
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Major Player

I just bought a 7d myself it's on the way. I can't wait to use it.

I bought the 70-300 f4 L series lens, a16 gig card, a uv filter, a remote switch, kand one extra battery.

I plan to pick up an inexpensive wide angle or 50mm lens that is a bit faster to do star photography and time lapses.

Don't know if this helps you but I can empathsise with the anguish over choosing the right stuff...

Good luck
Old July 10th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Major Player

which remote switch did you buy? Have fun with your new toy i can't wait to get mine.
Old July 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Contributor

Your Zeiss lens is a ZF, so you will need a Nikon-to-Canon EOS adapter. B&H sells the Cinevate adapters for $30. If you buy the Tokina with a Canon mount, it won't need an adapter.

All the CF cards are fast enough for video, but they must be UDMA cards. I would stay away from the really cheap ones. I have three Sandisk and one Transcend and have had no problems with any of them. You get approximately 48 minutes of video on a 16 gig card.

An ND .9 is good for most outdoor things, but if you want to open your lens up more you might want to get a .6 or .3 also and stack them. I like B+W filters. It's also a good idea to get clear glass filters to protect your lenses. Those should be good quality filters too. Check the thread size of your largest diameter lens and get filters in that size. In other words, if your biggest lens is 77mm, then get 77mm filters. If your other lens is, say, 67mm, you can get a 67 to 77mm stepup ring so you can use that filter on both lenses. Stepup rings are cheap, good filters are not. But you should also get good quality stepup rings, such as B+W or Tiffen, because the cheap ones bind easily and get stuck.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Major Player

thanks! Bill could you recommend an ND fader? Fader ND mark II any good?
LCW Home
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
All the CF cards are fast enough for video, but they must be UDMA cards. I would stay away from the really cheap ones. I have three Sandisk and one Transcend and have had no problems with any of them. You get approximately 48 minutes of video on a 16 gig card.
From what I understand there is a 12 minute max recording time on the 7D so if I'm using a 16GB mem card what happens at 12 minutes does the camera stop recording, do I need to swap cards?
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Major Player

It just stops recording and takes a few seconds to empty the buffer or something before its ready to record again. Consider a 32GB card, you can find them for as little as $75 - $110.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hendricks View Post
I bought the 70-300 f4 L series lens
Just for clarity... there's no such lens. I guess you mean 70-200mm...
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #10
Contributor

When you hit 12 minutes, the camera stops but it takes no more than a second or two to start again. If you do hit the limit, you just press record again and it starts right up. It's not like waiting for a tape camera to cue up again.

I don't know anything about those variable NDs. I use regular ones, and I've come to like the B+W filters.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Just for clarity... there's no such lens. I guess you mean 70-200mm...
That's what I meant...wishful thinking I guess.

The remote switch is just the $8.95 Zeikos one. Ultimately I want the timer remote controller that Canon makes to do time lapse photography.
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Major Player

i want to get the canon TC80N3 it's out of stock or discontinued at B&H.
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #13
New Boot

Just got my 7D. Bought it together with a Tamron 17-50/2.8 (good price-performance ratio imo) and a Sigma 50mm/1.4 for nighttime shooting. I'm happy with both lenses, they perform really well for Photography, and the Sigma 50/1.4 is stunning both for Shooting and Still imaging.

-Christer
Christer Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
i want to get the canon TC80N3 it's out of stock or discontinued at B&H.
Look around the 7D forum and you will find a version of pretty much the same remote for a lot less money -I think it's from China or Taiwan and it has the same functions.

Good luck.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #15
Major Player

carlo I found this don't know if it any good but for the price i think i'll get it.
For Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3 7D 5D 1Ds 50D - eBay (item 160466271312 end time Sep-07-10 20:09:41 PDT)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD