7D Video Editing Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #1
New Boot

7D Video Editing Problems

Please Help!

As a new 7D owner I am struggling with the editing process with the files that come out of the camera.

I use a Sony PC laptop (Pentium Dual Core 2.1 ghz) with 4 gb's of ram.

In the past I was using Pinnacle Studio 12 (with files from a canon g10) and had good results. So far I have tried Pinnacle Studio 12 and Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14 (trial version) and have had nothing but problems. I have tried importing the files directly to the program and have tried to convert them with both MPEG streamclip and handbrake before importing them. When I finish the editing the video's in Studio they do not play.

Is anybody out there having similar problems?

Is there a PC program that is a better solution to editing files from the 7d? I was looking at Sony Vegas and Adobe Elements Premier, are they any better?

From my quick research all PC programs get mixed reviews.

Where should I go from here?
Matt Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Matt, I was in a similar situation with my Canon T2i and my duo core computer (3.0ghz 4 gigs of ram). I was able to edit natively in Adobe Premiere Elements 4 by rendering the timeline regularly, but upgraded to a I5 Dell studio XPS and Adobe Premiere Elements 8. Eventually I plan on purchasing NeoScene for larger video projects.

You can check Neoscene out here: Cineform Neoscene
Tom Dickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #3
New Boot

I am confused, how will neoscene help?

I am really hoping to keep to a budget and not have to buy and new computer.
If I was not on a budget it a Mac and Final Cut Pro would be the solution, but that is not in the cards right now. I actually like the workflow with Pinaacle Studio (when I can get it to work)
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Simplified, as I understand it, ACVHD is a codec that requires a processor to interpret each frame. The codec essentially records changes from previous frames in a string of frames that relies on a single full frame in the set of frames. A lot of work for the processor to get an image out of fro each frame on playback and in editing. Cineform (Neoscene) converts to a high quality codec which essentially has complete frames. The result is a codec that is easier on the processing demands, and also give a cleaner edit.
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You might also try canopus editing software, I use edius to handle my 550d footage (the same as what comes out of a 7d) and I can edit and colorcorrect several layers of converted footage (to the canopus hq codec) in realtime on a 3 year old q6600 machine.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Give Neoscene a try. It's only $100 or so and offers a free trial for a week, so it's a no-risk proposition.

Just select and process all of your MOV files to create AVI files that are larger, but very easy for the computer to decode. You won't need a new computer, but might need more hard drive space.

If Pinnacle is still hosed, try downloading Vegas. It's a 30-day free trial. If that doesn't work either, your computer has a problem. You could try re-formatting the hard drive and re-installing Windows. That will give you another 7-slash-30 day trial period.

Best of luck!
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #7
New Boot

I just did another test and converted the files to H.264 in Mpeg streamclip.
it seems to work. Any other formats I should consider in streamclip?
I will do another test soon
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Trustee

Your going from bad to worse. 7D clips are H264, if your PC is able to play the H264 clip generated by MPEG StreamClip it probably means you encoded them at a lower quality H264.

H264 is not considered an editing format, it streams contiguous amounts of data as a single clip so when you edit it the computer has to conform [calculate] to the edit point. Neoscene converts the H264 clip into a "frame" based file. If your shooting 30fps, you end up with 30 discreet frames as part of your Quicktime clip so is no need to conform or re-encode which provides much better performance and quality.

Yes, just like the early days of HDV, NLE's were eventually able to edit it natively but there's always a trade off, you have to deal with the conversion at some point. So if the computer is fast enough to edit HDV, AVCHD or H264 natively, its fast enough to convert it to an intermediate codec. Neoscene or ProRes (Mac) in near realtime [faster than realtime in many cases].

For the amount of money you'll spend on a good intermediate codec, Neoscene for example, you will save that ten fold in efficiency and quality.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks,
from reading more about Studio 14 my Pentium processor does not have the power to process 1080p video on this program, I might try the Neoscene but it looks like I just need to convert down to 720p

My system is a sony laptop 2.33 ghz Pentium running windows 7- 4 gigs of ram.
Old July 12th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Here is some reference material

Norman Pogson Filmmaker: Canon 7D & 5D MKll Workflow For Stock Video

Norman Pogson Filmmaker: Editing Settings For The Canon HD-DSLR Cameras

h.264 is a delivery codec, designed to compress the camera footage extremely, it's not an editing format codec. Neoscene decompress the footage and turns it into a more windows computer friendly .avi file
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #11
Major Player

I would take another look at budgeting for an iMac - they are a bargain. The new models (i5 and i7 processors) are fast enough to edit HD and you can then use the Prores workflow which will end all frustrations with your 7D - you can convert inside Final Cut to ProRes straight from the cam.
I am using 7D footage in a 90 min documentary and it cuts and edits perfectly with my EX3 footage. I just got the new 17inch Macbook using the iMac's i7 processor and it easily handles my 7D. Also the ProRes workflow and FCP will be a strong part of the new Scarlett (RED) workflow and handle 2k, 3k and 4k files.
So even if it's not in your budget now .... it should be for the future.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

You could look into getting Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10. It does almost everything that the Vegas 9 Pro does minus some codecs and professional features, but for DSLR editing it is a really nice bang for the buck NLE. The layout is pretty much identical to Vegas Pro as well.

If you got Vegas Movie Studio 10, you could get DVFilm Epic I to be able to edit the DSLR files at realtime with no transcoding or manual swapping. Once you bring your h.264 movies into the Vegas timeline, Epic will create epic realtime files and you can start editing while this is happening. You can get realtime playback on practically any system.

For more info and a free demo check out http://dvfilm.com/epic/index.htm.

Best Regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy Olson; July 22nd, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Andy Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD