7D with Tamron 18-200...SURPRISED! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Major Player

7D with Tamron 18-200...SURPRISED!

A couple of weeks ago I did a shoot at a local SPA in Santa Fe, NM. As usual, I brought the 7D with the lens I use all the time, the Tamron 17-50, no VC. I also thought to bring the brand new Tamron 18-200, just in case, Since it was an all indoor shoot, I thought I would just use the 17-50, faster, and 2.8 through the focal range. Well, at the end of the day, the lens I used the most was the $230 at BH 18-200. Being quite a bit dark than the other lens (especially if you start using the zoom) I had to compensate with some lighting and higher ISO on the 7D, but the picture, when I went back to the studio, looked great.
With the ISO I NEVER had to go over 1000 (and I never would).
Lighting consisted in only one 1K halogen softbox plus a Litepanesl Micropro with 3.2K filter.
IMO, that cheap lens can deliver a great sharp picture most of the time. Not for every use, of course, but a no brainer for the price. And, by the way, I got the $60 rebate from Tamron just over a month from the purchase date (unlike other vendors...)

This is the spot that was produced with that lens.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks fantastic! I'm in desperate need of a longer lens (the kit lens 135mm being my longest). I will seriously consider this now after this excellent example of what it can do.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Frederick! I think you can not go wrong with the purchase of this lens. Remember, focus ring travel is very short, annoying to somebody, lens is NOT weather resistant...bla...bla...bla...But, for the price, it can do GREAT stuff. It's not a lot of money. You can use it, make the best of it, and then move on to a better lens if you feel you need it.

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Nice video!

Do you have issues with the lens shaking when focusing? Good for production but probably not for weddings?

Thanks.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Trustee

Another great video, although I had to stop at the acupuncture...

That's great to hear about that lens I'm always looking for good inexpensive alternatives. Another lens in this price category that should be considered is the Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6. This lens also has surprisingly good IS so there are few, if any, shaking issues. However, the IS is loud so you can't use on camera audio with this lens.

Always a trade-off...

Nice work Carlo.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Major Player

No shake problems with FF

Thank you Kelly and Chuck for you kind comments and suggestions. Kelly, I use that lens with a FF that Indifocus built for us with height, width, and rail position adjustable indipendently. It works great and have had no issues with the lens focus shaking.

Chuck, the model was trembling before the "treatment" ...She also had an EX1 facing down straight at her face (we use the OX55 tripod from Manfrotto in a orizontal position). However at the end she was surprised at how NOT painful that experience was! I was happier behind the cameras though...
If you want to see great footage of Italy's Dolomites and the Umbria region (near Tuscany), watch the episode 8 of the Santa Fe TV Show. It's all shot with and EX1, GoPro, and Lumix GH1. 7D didn't make it...If not demanding too much from the GH1, it can hold up quite well to the EX and 7D! Amazing.

Thank you all!!

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Trustee

Wow Carlo, you sure packed a lot of great stuff in episode 8. Very nice.

Well done. How many people do you work with?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Major Player

I am flat out amazed at your work. Bravo
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Major Player

Thank you Chuck & Chris!
In Italy, for cost reasons, most of the footage was shot with a 2 people crew (sometimes we had assistants - especially in the Dolomites, but mainly to lug stuff up the hill). Locally, our crew varies in number, but the core of our crew is three GOOD people.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD