DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Magic Lantern firmware for the 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/481831-magic-lantern-firmware-7d.html)

Kajito Nagib July 13th, 2010 01:40 PM

Magic Lantern firmware for the 7D

Does anyone have any update about the Magic Lantern hack for the 7d, has been dropped?

Mike Peterson July 13th, 2010 08:09 PM

Dropped...:(

Kajito Nagib July 13th, 2010 10:56 PM

too bad I wonder why.

Chris Barcellos July 13th, 2010 11:04 PM

Canon has taken some extensive steps to prevent the ability to boot a Magic Lantern fix in the 7D. Trammel Hundson had been having success in moving along until the last update, where Canon effectively blocked his progress in the development of the firmware hack.

Kajito Nagib July 14th, 2010 01:18 AM

they didn't have a problem with the 5d hack why the 7d?

John Richard July 15th, 2010 08:30 AM

If Canon purposely blocked Hudson's work with their last firmware release, then that is a damn shame.

So many of us had been eagerly awaiting the Magic Lantern feature improvement for video work.

It surely seems strange for Canon to limit the wonderful potential of a fine product of theirs.

I have not really seen the value of the last firmware upgrade and have not done so yet. I was even thinking that Canon themselves would enable the similar 5D video shooting enhancements. Maybe a pipe-dream?

Can those that have upgraded to the "hack blocking firmware" revert backwards to still allow a Magic Lantern hack? Would Hudson even waste the effort now?

Does Chris Hurd have any insights or thoughts on this issue?

Chris Hurd July 15th, 2010 09:11 AM

Insights? No, sorry. Thoughts: it's probably a good idea to establish
and maintain a reliable resource for insuring the availability of the
previous firmware version.

Bruce Foreman July 15th, 2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib (Post 1548435)
they didn't have a problem with the 5d hack why the 7d?

Actually, they did have a problem with it. Canon just chose not to make a public issue of it and obviously proceeded to strengthen their firmware against modification in successive models and firmware updates of their own.

Major corporations generally do not like anyone "reverse engineering" their products.

What Canon should do is listen to us and where possible "unlock" and add requested features in their firmware. They should offer to actually bring Trammel Hudson onboard as a consultant since he is very knowledgeable concerning what we consumers want and need.

Canon did listen to us and developed the 7D and T2i as a result, so start communicating with Canon, respectfully, of course.

Chris Hurd July 15th, 2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1548976)
They should offer to actually bring Trammel Hudson onboard as a consultant...

They might consider that, if only Tramm was fluent in Japanese.

Kevin Martorana July 17th, 2010 03:02 PM

I was thinking that Canon WAS paying attention to Magic Lantern...and therefore might have bought the technology/codes that were being worked on. (Hudson would have loved that I'm sure). Now...maybe by locking out 3rd parties...they might (wishing) build in the features that Magic Lantern was bringing to their software/firmware.

Mike Peterson July 21st, 2010 10:00 AM

Canon doesn't need Trammel, they would know how to do the same thing easily...they wrote it.