DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon Wide Lens Equal to Zeiss 9mm (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/481847-canon-wide-lens-equal-zeiss-9mm.html)

Brian Duke July 13th, 2010 05:49 PM

Canon Wide Lens Equal to Zeiss 9mm

I used the Zeiss 9mm wide lens a lot on a feature I did and I want something like it for the Canon. As wide as possible before it becomes a fish eye. I read some fo the other threads but I didn't see anything that was similar.

You can view some of the shots here where I used the 9mm Zeiss: YouTube - Sample Scene Edit 1 (Chop Shop)

Fi4st 3 shots were the 9mm, but a lot others were the 9mm. Some were the 55 and 85mm.

I really like the prime lenses for shooting film stuff.

Looks like the 24mm is the widest lens without the fisheye effect. Not sure how a 24mm can be as wide as a 9mm Zeiss. Can someone explain that?

I found a good site for lenses: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...n_lenses.shtml

Just don't know well they will work with shooting movies, as he used them mostly for nature stuff.

Chris M. Watson July 13th, 2010 05:56 PM

Nice lens. Must be one of those "if you have to ask how much, it's too expensive for you" type of lenses. The closest I've seen is the Tokina 11-16mm zoom lens. Don't know of any non-fisheye lenses lower than 9 myself.

Brian Duke July 13th, 2010 06:09 PM

A camera guy once told me he worked with a 3 or 4mm that wasn't a fisheye.. crazy stuff. Will check those out. I want to get a prime lens, not a zoom lens..

How about this one: The Canon EF-S 10-22mm

Kin Lau July 14th, 2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke (Post 1548326)
A camera guy once told me he worked with a 3 or 4mm that wasn't a fisheye.. crazy stuff. Will check those out. I want to get a prime lens, not a zoom lens..

How about this one: The Canon EF-S 10-22mm

A 3 or 4mm would be for a much smaller format, perhaps 1/3 or 2/3 or 8mm. Otherwise, it would be a lot of vignetting on anything larger.

The Canon EF-S 10-20 is a very good ultra-wide. Sigma is coming out with a 8-16 rectilinear (non-fisheye) lens.

Chris Beeger July 14th, 2010 11:45 PM

14mm is the widest prime in Canon line that doesn't barrel. I believe it's rectalinear so your vertical lines are straight side to side and it's extremely well corrected. For 7D this would equate to 22mm with 1.6 factor. Very pricey! The other way to go would be with zooms and Tokina 11-16 f2.8 ATX is very good. Color rendition similar to Zeiss and Nikon (warm), only for APS cameras (won't cover full frame). Anything below 14mm in primes will be fisheye.

Mark Watson July 15th, 2010 12:04 PM

My Favorite Lens

The Canon EF-S 10-22mm is a fun lens. It starts to distort near the 12mm setting, but you can stand in the doorway of a room and nearly get all 4 walls. Just make sure your feet aren't in the shot. I think you can find lots of favorable reviews out there.

MW

Dan Chung July 15th, 2010 12:23 PM

If ultra wide rectilinear wide angle is what you are after on a 7D then I suggest you have a look at new Sigma 8-16mm for the 7D and 550D Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

It should do what you want at the expense of the wide aperture.

I have a Sigma 12-24mm for full frame which does pretty much the same thing but on the 5DmkII. Pretty wacky effect but I don't find it all that useful.

Dan

Mike Jensen July 16th, 2010 01:16 AM

Samyang 8mm anyone?

I can only imagine what a 9mm Ziess would run. Looks like a nice lens though. I have been very happy with my Samyang 8mm- at around $350 it's a bargain: Distortion, yes- similar to the 9mm in your clip- but the lens is resonably sharp and very fun with a steadicam rig.

You will find several static shots from my 8mm lens here:

Mike Jensen | Jensen Films
www.jensenfilms.com

Brian Duke July 16th, 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1549016)
If ultra wide rectilinear wide angle is what you are after on a 7D then I suggest you have a look at new Sigma 8-16mm for the 7D and 550D Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

It should do what you want at the expense of the wide aperture.

I have a Sigma 12-24mm for full frame which does pretty much the same thing but on the 5DmkII. Pretty wacky effect but I don't find it all that useful.

Dan

Yeah, that 8-16mm looks pretty sick. I assume I need some sort of adapter for the Canon? or does it go straight on?

The only issue I see is it is extremely slow. 5.6. Ouch. I was thinking of going with the Canon 1.4 14mm. Just not sure it is wide enough for the 7D.

Dan Chung July 16th, 2010 05:38 PM

Brian, its in Canon mount so it would go straight on. Not tried it myself but I agree it does look mean. If you want a faster lens the only real alternative is the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 at the moment. The Canon 14mm will only really give you the effect you want when on a 5DmkII.

Dan

Brian Duke July 16th, 2010 08:06 PM

Thanks Dan. Do I need an adapter for the Tokina? Or does it fit the Canon?