DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   70-200mm f2.8, Canon V Sigma V Tamron (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/482290-70-200mm-f2-8-canon-v-sigma-v-tamron.html)

James Strange July 22nd, 2010 08:38 PM

70-200mm f2.8, Canon V Sigma V Tamron

Hi guys, i searched the forums and found some info on the above but not that much.

I'm looking to get a 70-200 for my 7d, and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on canon v sigma v tamron.

I know that canon just brought out a new version at $2000, whereas the sigma and the tamron are under $800,

I'll be using with mt 7d (and prob t2i a few times) . mostly on a tripod / mono[pd so IS is not that big a deal. its the speed that Im after (low light)

I've pretty much decided on either the sigma or tamron (sue to cost and not needing IS that much).

Any thiughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers

James

Nigel Barker July 23rd, 2010 12:44 AM

You could always look out for a used version of the Canon 80-200mm F2.8L without IS which was discontinued about 15 years ago. Known as the 'Magic Drainpipe' this is a sharper lens than any of those you are considering.

Canon EF 80-200mm f/2.8L Telephoto Zoom lense - Index Page

Canon EF 80-200mm 2.8L - f2.8 Professional Lens NO RSV - eBay (item 220634855566 end time Jul-14-10 09:02:10 PDT)

James Strange July 23rd, 2010 05:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion,

I've got a trip to NYC next week, so looking to buy from BHphoto wh I'm there. They have the canon(s) sigma and tamron in stock, just need to decide which one to buy, wont have much time to try it when I'm there, and cant afford to buy all 3, test them at home, then send 2 back.

Cheers

James

Christer Dahl July 26th, 2010 01:37 AM

I recently read up on this since i'm considering it myself. All three are very good and similar in performance.

The Tamron however has very good optical performance on par with Canon, and even surpasses it in some situations.. The backside of the Tamron alternative is the noisy Autofocus.

Sigma gives a better build impression but the Optical performance might not be as good (we're talking small differencies) and a very good and silent autofocus.

Tamron is the best bang for the buck if you don't care about it's noisy motor.

James Strange July 26th, 2010 09:50 AM

With the Tamron, is it only noisy when in auto focus?

is it silent when using manual focus?

James

Christer Dahl July 26th, 2010 12:20 PM

James, that's correct, that's just sound from the motor

Matthias Krause July 26th, 2010 03:26 PM

I would look into a used Tokina 80-200/2.8 pro...

Kelly Langerak July 26th, 2010 11:53 PM

I really dig my Canon after playing with the Tamaron.

My wedding videos look great.

Kathleen Little July 27th, 2010 09:21 AM

canon 70 - 200 f2.8

hi James.

I just bought a canon 70 -200 f2.8 and it's fab - well worth the money. the only drawback is that it's heavy. I got a second hand one for £1200 mint condition. the IS is slightly off-putting noise wise but out in the field you don't notice it when using a rode mic. but the IS makes a HUGE difference - just smooths things out movement wise. look on phil blooms website for an example of the difference with and without IS. the other alternative is the canon f4 IS which is meant to be sharper than mine - i know it's a lot lighter for sure. I think you are underestimating IS. go to calumet in glasgow and you'll be able to test the models out in person. they are all in stock.

Kelly Langerak July 27th, 2010 03:21 PM

I think you will still need IS for when it's on a Monopod.

Bill Pryor July 27th, 2010 07:36 PM

I think that 2.8 lens has to be mounted on a collar, so you'd need a rods support system too, unless you take the camera off the tripod and mount the lens which might be a hassle every time you change lenses.

Jon Braeley August 2nd, 2010 06:50 AM

I looked at all the available brands and the Canon 70-200 f2.8 .... and I bought the Canon 70 -200 f4.

I liked the lighter weight of the f4 lens. I do think that IS is an absolute must for hand-held work on this lens. I did checks to see if I can cope with f4 (all my lenses are 2.8) and the 7D with such high ISO made this possible.

Peer Landa August 9th, 2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Strange (Post 1551277)
I'm looking to get a 70-200 for my 7d, and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on canon v sigma v tamron.

Initially I got the Sigma 70-200. Since I was very happy with their 15mm that I had used for quite some time, I expected the 70-200 would be at par. However, the 70-200 didn't feel similarly well put together as the 15mm -- sure, it's built like a tank, but, for instance, the focus pull and the picture quality seemed a bit "inconsistent". So I caved and got me a Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8, which has now become my workhorse -- I'm very happy with it, (I shoot with a 5d, so keep that in mind). By the way, I got some A/B test shots lying around somewhere -- Sigma vs Canon. If anyone interested, I could always try to pull them off my backup drive at work.

-- peer

Peer Landa August 10th, 2010 05:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To quote myself:
Quote:

By the way, I got some A/B test shots lying around somewhere -- Sigma vs Canon. If anyone interested, I could always try to pull them off my backup drive at work.
Well, here's one of those side by side tests -- those are detail blowups of the outskirt (approx. 70% off), both lenses at 200mm f/2.8. Guess I don't need to tell which is which:

James Strange August 25th, 2010 08:18 PM

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice,

I ended up getting the tamron, I've not had a proper play about with it yet, but I will over the next few weeks.

If I cant cope without IS i think I;ll sell the tamron and get the 70-200 Canon f4, cant justify the cost of the 2.8

Thanks for the advice.

James