Matching T2i with XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching T2i with XH-A1

I may have the opportunity to test out a T2i shooting an event coming up. My main camera is a XH-A1. I wanted to use both but I wasn't sure what the best way to match them was.

Has anyone here successfully matched the two cameras? If so, how did you go about doing it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Dara Logan; July 26th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
Dara Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Dara,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara Logan View Post
I may have the opportunity to test out a T2i shooting an event coming up. My main camera is a XH-A1. I wanted to use both but I wasn't sure what the best way to match them was.

Does anyone here successfully matched the two cameras? If so, how did you go about doing it. Thanks in advance for any help.
I don't shoot with both, but I've shot the A1 and now use the T2i. What lens(es) do you have for the T2i?
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

For now just the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8. Any ideas?
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara Logan View Post
For now just the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8. Any ideas?
With those lenses you'll be very limited. If I had a t2i with those lenses I'd only use it for prep, post and reception candids - using the kit lens when there is adequate light to keep the ISO at or lower than 1600 and the 50mm when there is not. The 'video' cameras would be used for the non-repeatable important events. Do you have any other cameras to use for the event? In terms of the 'look' there are a few things you can do - set the T2i sharpness at its lowest for one. And depending on what preset you're using with the A1 you may be able to match the t2i if you are able to use an external monitor and hook both cameras up to different inputs. Point them both at a colorful composition with adequate contrast and then tweak the settings of either of both cameras to get them as close as possible for color tone, contrast and saturation.
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Point them both at a colorful composition with adequate contrast and then tweak the settings of either of both cameras to get them as close as possible for color tone, contrast and saturation.
Good point. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it turns out. *Fingers Crossed*
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dara,

I shoot with the exact same two cameras. I have found to best match the color between the two you'll want to use the TrueColor preset on the XHA1 and set the contrast and saturation all the way down on the T2i. Make sure you white balance off the same card for both cameras. Then CC in post for fine tuning. You'll get a very flat image out of the T2i but its quite useable once processed.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Awesome. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.
Dara Logan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD