New DSLR Camera Bag Search... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 11th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #16
New Boot

+1 for Think Tank. I keep my 7D package, which is about the same as yours, size wise, in their Streetwalker Hard Drive back pack plus their Retrospective 10 shoulder bag. I can actually fit it all in the backpack, but the two bag set up gives me the option of going lightweight with just the small shoulder bag holding the body, Z Finder, 2 zooms and few accessories. While shooting I pass the backpack off to an assistant or other helper, or leave it open on a cart. The shoulder bag also keeps travel documents and a bare bones working camera always on my person when traveling. I can't say enough about the build quality and intelligent design features of Think Tank products, and they are reasonably priced for what you get.
Evan Estern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #17
Inner Circle

For a carry on backpack, I enjoy the Lowepro Fastpack 250. It's about as large as you can fit under an airplane seat. The bottom holds the camera and lenses. The laptop slides into the side. There's a large open area on top for miscellany. You can fit a small shoulder rig up there, if you break it down. You can quickly get to the camera from a side door.

Personally, I like having the valuables with me at my feet when flying. I also like keeping gear on my back while shooting. I don't want to put down a case, shoot, and find that somebody grabbed and ran.

The downsides of this case are that it's not very waterproof, and it doesn't have as many small pouches as I would like for odds and ends. This backpack doubles as a business travel case. On business trips, I can take my camera gear, laptop, and papers to meetings, rather than leaving my gear in the hotel room.

The other bags I checked out didn't seem to have the same efficiency. They were either too big for under the seat travel, or they had more material, flaps, and covers, but less space for gear. Given that I don't abuse the bag, the Fastpack 250 has enough padding for the needed protection, but not so much that space is compromised.

BTW, I colored the small Lowepro label with a magic marker, and that's all it took to make it stealth. It just looks like a generic, black backpack.
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #18
Major Player

I need to carry a full load of gear, inc 5 lenses, mics, cables etc and a 17 inch Macbook - no easy order. And it has to go on the plane as a carry on.

I did get the Ape backpack and it is indeed a bargain - it does all the above very easily. The build and material are not in the Kata class, but it's still fine. It's about as large as one can go due to the weight when full and to fit into the overheads. I think its a good temporary measure.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #19
Regular Crew

oooooo. That ThinkTank Retro 20 bag just caught my little eyeballs!!!!! Very nice bag. I actually think I saw a photographer 3 weekends ago carry one of these and he looked very comfortable. This maybe finding its way into my home soon. haha.
Kristian Roque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #20
Major Player

Most of the bags I see suggested are simply way too small for shooting video - stills, fine but for video, with all the mics, sound recorder, mattes, filters,tripod mounts....on and on. The ThinkTank Retro 20 is way too small and way overpriced for a very small one-pocket shoulder - please!
I have about six camera bags - two of which cost over $500, so clearly, one bag does not serve all purposes - I have 3 totally different cameras. The 7D allows me to now go with a smaller backpack than my rolling bags, but even so shooting video does mean carrying more gear ... and you need a laptop. At the same time, I have to use the backpack as a carry-on for cameras and lenses (while other gear can and does go in checked bags, inc rigs and my tripods).
Also unlike still shooters, we tend to put the bag down and take our time with set-up - so the sling-action type bags are not needed - we are not in a war zone here.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #21
Inner Circle

> "Also unlike still shooters, we tend to put the bag down and take our time with set-up - so the sling-action type bags are not needed - we are not in a war zone here. "

This varies. When shooting locally with a crew, we use Pelican cases for the camera and lenses and travel heavy. Cases are set down. Tripods, jibs, lights and whatnot are setup.

When traveling solo on business trips, I'll often make some time available for shooting. In this case, I'll get the camera set up as best as I can for the expected situation with the right lens and filter(s). I can keep the Z-Finder on the lanyard. I might bring a hotel hand towel as my "tripod", which I can tie to my backpack strap. The shoulder mount is the biggest hassle, but if it's small, It can be clipped on a belt loop with a carabiner. Instead, I'll often handhold with elbows on knees or on a railing.

Sometimes, you can just grab the camera, add the loupe, get in a solid position, and shoot. Often, the shot requires a lens or filter change. In that case, I can keep the backpack on my lap, do the change, and shoot with the backpack on my back.

I'd like to get a small belly pack as well. I don't usually worry about audio when shooting solo, but you could keep a small recorder at the ready. And having a secondary lens in a belly bag would let you change lenses when standing or walking to the next location.

The most important aspects are to not advertise expensive equipment when you can conceal it, and to never set your equipment down with your back turned. So far the only concern I faced was when a group of kids in Tel Aviv came around me and asked me to take their picture and then show it to them. Next, they wanted me to hand the camera to them so they could take a picture of me. "No thank you!"
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Canon offers a very nice bag for about $40. I have one and I'm very pleased.

Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent): Electronics
I'll vouch for it too. Put a lot miles on mine. I put a 7d, 3 lenses, 2 batteries, Tascam recorder, shotgun and hypercardiod mic, wind sock, two shock mounts, battery tester, flashlight, xlr cable, monopod, misc stuff.

Now I'm thinking of getting something that can also hold my macbook as well. Consolodate.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD