New DSLR Camera Bag Search... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Major Player

New DSLR Camera Bag Search...

I am following up on an older thread for a new Camera bag for my 7D gear. I usually carry a full compliment of accessories (4 lenses-audio-etc) and a new 17inch Macbook pro. Also take a Zacuto shoulder rig, monopod, small slider and Solo tripod.
I shoot in tough locations always outside the U.S. and often in mountains and countryside. My option has been to use a large backpack. I also favor Kata for a very large range of backpacks. I see a new one - Pro-Light Beetle-282 PL backpack - anyone using this?
Listed at B&H - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683166-REG/Kata_KT_PL_B_282.html
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Jon, check out the Lowepro. It has wheels for the airport and easy moving around as well as it unzips and a backpack comes out. My son has sat on my bag a couple of times (40 lbs) and doesn't hurt my equipment. It's super strong, lightweight and also has a neat feature to keep it locked.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611107-REG/Lowepro_LP36033_PWW_Pro_Roller_x200_Case.html
I wanted the bigger one at the time of purchase but they were out.

This one holds 3 lens, t2i, 7D and other audio stuff.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I just got a Lowepro Vertex 200 and love it. I wanted a backpack for my doc type shooting, and it works great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487266-REG/Lowepro_LP35019_PEU.html
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #4
New Boot

Since I am THE hardcore Kata fan I can't recommend anything else ;-)

I was thinking about buying the Kata Beetle-282 PL, but in the end I chose the (by size and price) similar
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683158-REG/Kata_KT_PL_B_220.html

I'd recommend to look at some bags and not just ordering one. If you want to use it for hiking (or at least long walks), try them on to feel if they're comfortable. Then it's much easier to choose. Looking at pictures and reading the specs didn't help me much, I didn't really see the big difference between especially these two bags. I wasn't sure for quite a while, but seeing both made it pretty easy. The very similar bags ended up to be totally different by concept.

The Beetle opens from the back, so you also have to open it to access the Laptop. The Bumblebee opens in front, and the computer slides in from the outside.

Specwise they're pretty much equally big, but the Bumblebee is much roomier inside.
Shamol Majumder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Trustee

Canon offers a very nice bag for about $40. I have one and I'm very pleased.

Old July 28th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the advice.
I looked at the Lowepro x200 but it's twice the weight of the Kata backpack - a serious concern to carry an extra 7Ib that I do not need, but it also failed carry-on airline specs - have you carried this on flights?
I called 3 airlines and they all rejected it as too large. The Kata bag just squeezed in ok. Total length is 45 inches for carry ons.

One thing in Kata's favor is thier backpacks all accept wheels and I have kata wheels spare. I find on my trips I can use wheels for about 50% of the time - then have to carry due to running out of roads! Last year I was on boats in the Ganges - the Himalayas (India-Nepal-Tibet) - and China central basin ... all with my entire bags. But mostly Kata bags are one of the lightest compared to Lowepro, thinktank. My assistant carries tripods.

The 17inch Laptop is not a great concern as this can be hand carried on a plane but that means a 3rd bag if you realize I have a camera bag and a big roller-bag for clothes and the tripods. So I try to stay with 2 bags.

The search continues.
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Lowepro insist that the x200 fits carry-ons but you may need to remove the laptop - so that may work. I guess in rough terrain, I leave the outer case in the hotel but is the backpack up to the job? When loaded they can be horrible on your back.
Still worth a look. Thanks.
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Best bag for the price:

Ape Case Pro Backpack SLR/Video Camera Case ACPRO2000

At Amazon for only $89!
Jeffrey Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:03 AM   #9
Regular Crew

At the moment I am personally looking at the Vanguard UpRise 46:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/707154-REG/Vanguard_UP_RISE_46_UP_Rise_46_Backpack.html
Saw it at a local store and very interested in getting it.
Kristian Roque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:20 AM   #10
Major Player

The vanguard has limited laptop size so for me it's not a choice as I try to avoid an extra case just for my laptop. The big problme is airlines clamping down on carry-ons. Did anyone see the new rules from spirit airline on carry-ons? Very disturbing and this could become an industry norm.

The Ape looks amazing for the money and I will get this even if I buy another Kata bag as well. The big factor for bags are the airlines now.... the reason I got into the 7D is carry-on and size, as I shoot in remote locations and always in Asia. My EX3 kit is so big, that I have to split this up to get on a plane.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Canon offers a very nice bag for about $40. I have one and I'm very pleased.

Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent): Electronics
That's a great bag and I have one, but it is very small. The only time I use mine is when on vacation and only taking pictures or tourist video.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
The vanguard has limited laptop size so for me it's not a choice as I try to avoid an extra case just for my laptop. The big problme is airlines clamping down on carry-ons. Did anyone see the new rules from spirit airline on carry-ons? Very disturbing and this could become an industry norm.

The Ape looks amazing for the money and I will get this even if I buy another Kata bag as well. The big factor for bags are the airlines now.... the reason I got into the 7D is carry-on and size, as I shoot in remote locations and always in Asia. My EX3 kit is so big, that I have to split this up to get on a plane.
Yea, your right. I don't do much laptop carrying but I should consider it. I do mainly video. The Kata Bags are ALWAYS nice. I may just spoil myself and buy one. The Ape bags seems to busy for my taste,
Kristian Roque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #13
Major Player

I fly all the time. I carry on a Lowepro Vertex 300 and a large Tenba photo/laptop bag and give my producer or PA a Calumet rolling case. That's enough bag space to carry on 3 bodies, a dozen lenses, monitor and most other fragile items - everything else goes in the hold.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #14
Major Player

the vertex 300 is pretty great, but a little heavy and not so comfortable for longer hikes. i've carried it on airplanes no problem, but have to scramble to get a good sized overhead spot...
it fits a lot of gear and is solid!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I find ThinkTank Photo bags to be the best I have ever used. I have several and I travel extensively with them.

Ben Ruffell
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD