First Full Scale Production on 550D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 30th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Yaniv! Regardless of the content, I strive to produce the best possible product for my clients, both in terms of the visual AND audio aspects of the end product.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #17
Major Player

I'm all in regarding the quality of the piece.

A couple questions-
Would you describe your focus pulling workflow?

How did you do those micro moves during the interviews?

Did you hold the shutter speed at 1/50 or 1/60 or? I sometimes have trouble with too much light shooting wide open at 2.8/24p/50th...did you run into that issue at all?

thanks

Last edited by Scott Brickert; July 30th, 2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: I completely goofed up the terms, but the OP read between the lines. Too many 60 hour weeks.
Scott Brickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #18
Major Player

"How did you do those micro moves during the interviews?"

really good question...YouTube - Fault Lines - Dying Inside: Elderly in prison!

this is the video that gave me the idea of using my slider during the interviews; so I give this guy the credit. (this is an incredibly well done piece)

Shooting at 1.4, I had to continually pull focus as I moved the camera closer to the interviewees. And this was all filmed @ 1080/24P, shutter was 1/50 sec.

"Would you describe your focus pulling workflow"

I'm not sure I know how to respond to this question. I didn't use a FF, nor would I ever with a DSLR on sticks. I like to keep my hand on the lens barrel because it provides just a bit of resistance that forces me to pan slowly and enables me to make continual focus changes throughout the pan without jarring the camera. I prefer to use the onboard 3" LCD screen over the cheap 7" Lilliput screen I have because the onboard screen seems to be so much higher rez, which helps me pull focus quickly. Other than that, I eye it up and let it rip like everyone else. I do look for highly detailed patterns in objects and clothing, and I find that is as close as it gets to the split screens in the old manual SLRs of many years ago. It helps having a lot of experience using these old lenses too - I started shooting film on those old manual cameras when I was ~ 10, I'll be 39 in a couple of weeks.

I think the 1.6x crop factor vs. FF is absolutely perfect for employing selective focus without going so far that focus simply becomes unmanageable. I plan on buying several 550Ds after seeing the results.
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Nice work Aaron!

Visually, you made some not-so-outwardly-pretty-people look quite nice. And unlike much of what's produced today from various religious perspectives (and main-stream media, for that matter), you conveyed a positive message. From the perspective of a one-time athiest with a BA in "religions of the world," I like seeing people who are passionate about whatever they believe, assuming that passion doesn't justify deliberate harm to another.

Again, very nice work!
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD