Ordering new Canon 7D.... which lens to pick 1st at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ordering new Canon 7D.... which lens to pick 1st

Hey you guys, So I have finally decided to go with the Canon 7D for my video options. Now I may just pick it up locally or order from B&H by the end the week. The stock lense it comes with at both locations is the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. is that stock lense good for beginning on Video Shoots? I think B&H also gives the option for a EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. I know alot recommend a 17-55mm lens as well.

I am hoping to order another lens with it, but have to be wise and save up for batteries and CF cards.

My question is basically... what was your startup kit when you purchased your 7D? as far as size of CF cards and amount of batteries as well. Thanks SO much you guys.
Kristian Roque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The 28mm wide end is a normal view, rather than a true wide. I would go with one of the 18-??? lenses on a budget to start out. The 17-55/2.8 IS is better all around, if you can afford it. It has better performance, is faster, has a constant aperture, and has IS, which can help on handheld stuff.

For narrative, I like the 17-55mm range. On the other hand, for extreme sports, you want extreme lenses - a super wide for getting close to the action and a super telephoto for filming at a distance. Okay, add a normal or short telephoto prime lens for interviews.
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Major Player

For events you will want 17-55 with IS and the 70-200mm with IS. I use these two all day at weddings.

You may want to be more specific on what it's for.

Everyone tends to not like the stock lens, I recommend you save that money for something better.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Kelly,

That's right, sorry I forgot to mention what for, sorry about that. The camera is basically for Weddings and Events as well.
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
For events you will want 17-55 with IS and the 70-200mm with IS. I use these two all day at weddings.

You may want to be more specific on what it's for.

Everyone tends to not like the stock lens, I recommend you save that money for something better.
Kelly, The 17-55 is very attractive and pricey, but I may just purchase anyways. May I ask why the 70-200mm? Is this mainly for back camera? and long church views? Thanks again for all your help!!!
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Major Player

It depends on how close you want to get. I use the the 17-55 for the Precession and then quickly swap to the longer lens for the ceremony. It's a must must must have. Even if your off to the side and using two cameras the 17-55 isn't going to cut it. You get a client who has a Catholic wedding and you'll be hurting.

Below is a shot with the 70-200. And I wasn't even that far away.

Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That is VERY nice! Definitely a must buy then. Are you using the Canon Models or the Tamaron lenses? The Canon seem so steep in price, wow. But the IS is definitely a nicer better look. I dont know if the Tamron have IS of any sort. Also, sorry to ask so many questions about how many batteries and CF's are you using per day? How many hours does a CF hold with HD recording? Thanks again SOOO much.

Last edited by Kristian Roque; July 27th, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old May 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Re: Ordering new Canon 7D.... which lens to pick 1st

Since someone might want to get rid of their Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens that comes with the kit, let me know, I am looking to buy one!
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Trustee

Kristian, I am using the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and I have no regrets about the lack of IS. However I always shoot from a tripod when using that lens. I agree with Kelly that this is a must have lens range for weddings.

IS is nice to have, but when you consider that you can buy a Tamron 17-50 and 70-200 for just a little bit more than the Canon 17-55 on it's own, it seems much less important. If you have the money to pay for luxery lenses, then by all means do because they can make life so much easier, but personally I think it's more important to have all the focal length range covered than to have IS.

The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is an outstanding lens for the price and a favorite among many HDSLR users. There is also an IS (called VC in Tamron language) version but it is not as good optically. Tamron are definitely a viable alternative to the Canon lenses particularly if, like yourself, you are on a budget.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #10
New Boot

I highly recommend the 24-105 4.0 IS from a photographic perspective. I also have the 70-200 2.8 IS. Different lens for different purposes. Neither are built for a crop camera like the 7D. Tamron also has many excellent lens which are not as expensive as the Canon L series. I have two of these but I rarely use. The Canon lens are a big $$$ investment but the quality is unmatched.

I rented several lens before I purchased. This can be a smart thing to do when you are spending $1,200 - $1,800 (US).
Andy Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Inner Circle

The 24-105/4 IS is a very nice all-around lens. However, for weddings it might be a bit slow. Some churches and reception halls can be pretty dark. A 50/1.4 or 50/1.8 would be a nice compliment to f/2.8 zooms when light is low.
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The 24-105/4 IS is a very nice all-around lens. However, for weddings it might be a bit slow. Some churches and reception halls can be pretty dark. A 50/1.4 or 50/1.8 would be a nice compliment to f/2.8 zooms when light is low.
I agree 100%. The price difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8 is pretty big. I use the 1.8 and I can say it is incredible. Nothing like primes to make you realize how good a shot can be. The 1.8 can be had for under $150 US

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-GREY/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html
Andy Popple is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD