Output video vertically (9:16) not horizontally (16:9) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Output video vertically (9:16) not horizontally (16:9)

I'm sure this question must have been asked somewhere, but a search has yielded nothing, so if the brainsters here can help, I would appreciate.

I've just had a request from a potential client to shoot a short fashion video that will be shown on widescreen TVs in a shop. The only thing is, these TVs will be mounted vertically, not horizontally as normal.

Now, I've seen fashion videos done this way already, so I know it's possible. My question is: how best to do this with the 7D?

The logical thing would be to shoot with the camera vertical. But that would create problems in editing, wouldn't it (I use FCP7 by the way)? I saw one recommendation online suggesting to shoot normally (ie. horizontally) then crop the finished video in the edit to the 9:16 proportions. But wouldn't that kill too much resolution for TV output?

Ideas? Things to avoid?
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Turn the camera 90 degrees. Turn your monitor 90 degrees. Edit away!

Just make sure to find out if they will rotate the TVs clockwise or counterclockwise. Sure, you can flip it in post, but you'll definitely want to get your final delivery right side up. :)
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Vegas has "output rotation" a feature designed so that you can use vertical displays (shot from a camera rotated 90 degrees).
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Trustee

When I first read the title to this thread, my first thought was "oh no, another photgrapher who's fiddled with the video mode on his 7d without realising you can't shoot video vertically!" But luckily you're planning ahead!

Turning your moniter on it's side could be a litte cumbersome, particularly seeing the timeline would then be vertical - although if you're using an 2nd moniter for full screen preview it should be ok.

You could duplicate all your clips, then rotate one batch in QT Pro before importing to FCP. Then edit on a standard timeline (so you'll have pillarboxes when you drop your rotated footage on the timeline). When you're done editing, re-reconnect the clips to the original files and render out. The only thing I'm unsure of with this method is whether or not the footage would get re-scaled automatically - you might get the rotated files stretching/cropping to fill the screen, or you might reconnect the original files and have them appear as a small box in the middle of the screen.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Right... Of course. So shoot vertically, output on a vertical monitor. All should be good right? Just no way of seeing it on another monitor..... And good point about making sure knowing which way the monitors are rotated.....
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD