Magic Lantern demo on the 550D - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 15th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #46
New Boot

I will keep the batt grip in mind if I get OH problems.

One of the attractions of the 550d is the small and lightweight feel of it for 40min of handheld video closeups so I don't want to add a Batt Grip to it. Perhaps for the fixed 550d on the tripod though, thanks.

Peter
Peter James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #47
Trustee

Just wondering how the progress was going (and God bless you and your hard work)...

Tramm, do you think the beta will be easier to install or is it just going to be a bear to get the hack into the cam?

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #48
Regular Crew

..I just donated--thanks Tramm.

Quick Question, I assume each SD card I plan on shooting with should have ML loaded, right?

So far it works really well and the biggest benefit (if nothing else) is being able to hit the DISP. button to turn off the T2i's rather clunky and large font display since ML generates a much smaller and more video shooter friendly OSD!

I need to re-read the help file too since I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have to manually load the firmware each time the camera is turned on, right? I tried to do the steps on the ML wiki page and couldn't get the card to boot correctly. Any tips?

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #49
Trustee

Anyone know of a Magic Lantern version for the 7D? If there isn't one, does anyone know if it's because of a technical issue that's unique to the 7D?
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #50
Inner Circle

The 7D code is encrypted and hasn't been cracked; hence, no Magic Lantern for the 7D.
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #51
Trustee

It's because of Canon.

The latest firmware update for the 7D apparently included code that implemented a firmware update counter and a limit to how many times the firmware could be updated. Tramm hit that upper limit and his 7D will no longer allow updates so he is left with the last one run.

The firmware update process does not allow going back to a previous version so he is effectively "locked out" of going forward with the 7D.

I fully expect Canon to find some way to do something similar with the T2i. While they are not making a big "scene" about it they appear to have decided not to "tolerate" reverse engineering of their firmware code.

Constant requests to Canon to include the audio control and perhaps other features desired in a future firmware update may eventually move them to do what they did with the 5D MkII in the way of adding audio control and updated frame rates.

Panasonic has included code in their firmware that "blocks" unauthorized updates or changes to the firmware in the GH1.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #52
Trustee

I guess we have a similar situation to IPhone jailbraking - it's legal to do but permissible to prevent it.
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Panasonic has included code in their firmware that "blocks" unauthorized updates or changes to the firmware in the GH1.
I was planning to buy three GH1 for my wedding work. But I was late to the game that all the new GH1 out there are unhackable. Maybe Panasonic think I will go up to their high end Panasonic camcorders, it turns out I bought three T2i... and I'm loving my t2i.
Old October 31st, 2010, 10:09 AM   #54
New Boot

Anything new?

Hi

First of all a biiig thank you. Thanks a lot for all the work you have invested in the community. There is just not this video infrastructure (beginning with stores) here in Europe or people like Mr. Hudson who help other people save a lot of trouble.

can someone maybe make a video tutorial how to hack the t2i? how to install it, im really a beginner and dont want to break my camera.

Thanks a lot in advance

Kind regards from Vienna, Austria
Xin Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:41 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Its all right here:

550D - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

However, you need to understand that this is testing phase of a product that is not yet even doing what is actually the ultimate goal. There just bits an pieces of what Magic Lantern is about, working at this point for the T2i.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD