Bower 14mm f2/8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Bower 14mm f2/8

Anybody using this lense? Is it any good?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/698923-REG/Bower_SLY14MMF28C_14mm_f_2_8_Ultra_Wide.html
Don Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Contributor

I haven't seen one, but I think (not 100% sure though) that's one of the brands made by Samyang, a Korean company. I've seen some footage shot with a couple of the fast Samyang lenses (not available under that brand name in the U.S.) and it looked pretty good. The nice thing about B&H is you can buy the lens, unpackage it carefully, try it out. If it sucks, you can reurn it for a full refund or exchange.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #3
New Boot

Good info. Thanks.

-Don
Don Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Trustee

I picked up a Rokinon 8mm Ultra Wide for EOS available on Overstock.com for around $290. 8mm turns into about 14mm with the APS-C crop anyway. There are positive reviews of it scattered all around the net, and I like what I see a lot. If you don't want to go that wide and want to stick to the 14mm, Overstock.com has it too for a little cheaper:

Rokinon 14mm F2.8 Super Wide Angle Lens for Nikon | Overstock.com

There's no difference between Rokinon and Bower except for branding. Same lens.
Old August 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Trustee

I have both the Rokinon/Bower 85mm f/1.4 and 8mm f/3.5 both are quite good. They are solid with very good picture quality.

But both of these have limited applicability, the 85mm doesn't have image stabilization so you pretty much have to use it on a tripod and the 8mm is great for panorama shots but to much of a fisheye for video, unless your looking for that look.

For being an "off" brand I've had good success with these lenses and would recommend them, especially for the price. You just need to be aware of what your getting, good quality, completely manual lens.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Indeed it is a branded Samyang lens.
Quality is very nice. It is the ideal lens for documentary run&gun situations.
I am not sure how they are sold in the U.S, but in Europe you can get the Samyang lenses with smooth aperture suited better for video work.

Thanks.

Johnnie
Old August 15th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Just as an FYI the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm F2.8 lens is manual focus while the Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L Mark II USM does have auto-focus (& is about six times more expensive).
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #8
Major Player

You can't put filters on that lens, so the only way to use ND would be to use a mattebox.
Old August 15th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #9
Inner Circle

While you cannot fit a filter to the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm F2.8 lens the Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L Mark II USM has a holder at rear of the lens for a gel filter just like the Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
You can't put filters on that lens, so the only way to use ND would be to use a mattebox.
Why not?

I have a 72mm variable ND filter and it works great. What am I missing?

I'm sorry, that's on the 85mm, not the 14 or 8mm.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD