How to Edit DSLR Footage in Premiere Pro CS4 without NeoScene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Inner Circle

How to Edit DSLR Footage in Premiere Pro CS4 without NeoScene

I wasn't ready to upgrade to CS5 yet .. and not sure if I want to spend $99 for NeoScene. Here's my approach to edit DSLR clips in Premiere CS4.

How to Edit DSLR Footage in Premiere Pro CS4 | L.A. Color Blog

with the help of the free Matrox I-Frame HD codec as intermediate codec. =)
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks Taky

Slavomir Valko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

slavo, what would be your conclusion? I can't tell much difference between the first and second clip.

Also, it's difficult to judge based on a still. It'll also be easier to have all 3 of them showing side by side. Is it possible?
Old August 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I got older computer and using Matrox codec (avi files) seems to keep Premiere much happier. I didn't like gamma shift on MPEG Steamclip so Matrox I Frame HD is in my opinion a winner.

Side by side coming up later today.
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Matrox used to lock the I-frame HD codec to be used with their hardware only. Same for the VFW. However, I found out they forgot to unlock it in an early VFW downloaded version. I posted it in their forum and they freaked out .. hehe
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Side by side comparison of Canon T2i/550D footage, transcoded footage using Adobe Media Encoder + Matrox MPEG-2 I Frame and MPEG Steamclip + Avid DNxHD.

Old August 21st, 2010, 02:45 AM   #7
Major Player

If someone could test Matrox, DNxHD and NeoScene like Salvomir has, that would be great!

I am feeling the same way Taky is about not wanting to switch to CS5 just yet... But I need to do something about getting one of these programs soon so I can edit my footage. A test between them would be very helpfull.

Thanks!
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Terry, you can download neoscene trial to test. Matrox codec is free to download too. So instead of waiting for someone to test it for you, maybe you can perform a test to show us?
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Major Player

An equally important reason for using Neoscene is the fact that it performs the 10 bit correction for luma range and colour space on Canon DSLR clips, this is crucial to getting the best from your footage, and saves an awful lot of time messing about with curves at the edit stage. + of course you get amazing quality, easily editable clips. I edit EX1 and 550D footage without any problems on my aging core 2 duo 2.400 pc with 2gb ram. $99 for Neoscene was a far cheaper option than a new PC

Last edited by Colin Rowe; August 22nd, 2010 at 08:01 AM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD