Would you ditch the 7D for a GH13 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella View Post
Perrone,

I think your reply is not quite on target. First of all, anything I said was preceded by "IMO". And in my post I never said that the 7D is not a good tool. I think that anybody is entitled to share opinions, especially if offered in conjunction with a video that people can see and make their on judgment on what is the best tool for them.
True, you did say in your opinion. Though I am not sure if your video offered a fair opportunity for people to judge things on. But really, it's no matter.

Quote:
I don't feel the way you do. It is not a "contest" as you say, it is simply informing people of what is going on (a lot of 7D owners, like I used to be and you and many others) have the GH1 as well. I was skeptic at first (about the hack), and now I felt overwhalmed to share my opinions to others that are in the same boat. Furthermore, I felt my opinions would be constructive since I did own both the 7D and GH1, and I had plenty of chances to analytically compare them.
While it may not be a contest, these constant comparisons, based on little more than subjective uses of the camera tend to make it feel that way. "I used to have camera X, but camera Y is WAYYYY better." Even if the intent is different, it just reads the same.

I think those who own both cameras, or have used both cameras are in a good position to offer some help to those trying to make a decision between them. The problem is that these comparisons often come without context. How are you using the camera? Really, these cameras are more alike than different, but with a few different features that really swing them one way or another based on how they are used.

As far as I can tell, the hacked GH1 offers one significant advantage over the Canon for all uses, and that is a better codec. It offers a couple of other features of use to those doing event work, namely longer recording times, and an articulating screen. For those doing narrative, this is of nearly no importance.

Does this make the hacked GH1 superior? Maybe. Unfortunately, the only people who can have access to a hacked GH1 are people who already OWN a GH1. The new cameras appear not to be hackable, so it's kind of moot offering this advice to those who haven't purchased a camera yet.

Quote:
Feel free however to consult this link to see a test on resolution charts between 7D and GH1:YouTube - ‪Canon 7D vs Hacked Panasonic Gh1 - 1080P 24fps versus comparison - Bundled lenses‬‎
The resolution of the GH1 hasn't changed one bit. It's codec is now able to record more of what the sensor sees. That's great. But frankly, after having watched my 5D footage on a 40ft screen, I was pleased with it's look and frankly don't need anything "sharper".
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Major Player

Perrone,

I just think you are alittle bit overreacting to my post. I still LOVE the 7D, but, in my specific situation, since we do not shoot events (and we need only one "dslr looking" camera), when I came to realize that the GH1 could do what I was asking the 7D to do, I saw no good reason to keep both (for field production we mostly use the 2 EX1s anyway). My choice was also dictated by the fact that around the corner there is a lot to come, and a lot that will probably "fix" all of the "functional nuances" of these current dslrs...You know better than me that if you shoot in a tight time schedule, dslrs are not ideal. Picture quality for artistic shots, 100%.
GH1 to me always offered, in my opinion and for the type of work we do, an "in between" option, due to the video implementation of that camera.

Has anybody proof that the new GH1 is NOT hackable. Just curious. Let's ask Tester13 :-)...

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Perrone,

I just think you are alittle bit overreacting to my post.
Entirely possible.

Quote:
...in my specific situation...
...since we do not shoot events...
...when I came to realize that the GH1 could do what I was asking the 7D to do...
And this, is the crux of the matter. The problem, is that you didn't offer any information about how you were using the camera. Just that you felt the GH1 was superior. Clearly, for a number of uses, it is.

Quote:
You know better than me that if you shoot in a tight time schedule, dslrs are not ideal.
VERY true.

Quote:
GH1 to me always offered, in my opinion and for the type of work we do, an "in between" option, due to the video implementation of that camera.
Agreed.

Quote:
Has anybody proof that the new GH1 is NOT hackable. Just curious.
Yes, those people who've recently bought new GH1s and have found they couldn't hack them. And are now stuck with a camera they can't hack. Been reading about it for weeks now.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I bought my GH1 at amazon end of July. It comes with firewire 1.3. Those older stock comes with fireware 1.2 that can be hacked. The secret 1.3 fireware is not hackable.

Someone bought from B&H in mid july still comes with 1.2 fireware and able to hacked. Ever since, other reported that B&H is now selling the new stock.
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #20
Major Player

My GH1 is of course an older one, but, when I hacked it I downloaded the 1.3 firmware from the Panasonic site. I was able indeed to hack it just fine. Wondering if at Panasonic they do something else to block the hack of the unit, since apparently I upgraded mine with the same firmware they ship the new ones with.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Has anybody confirmed the hack is completely blocked ?
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I don't think anybody can confirm that. From my experience, you might have a higher chance to get an old stock from your local camera store. Get to the menu to see if the firmware is 1.2 or 1.3.
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I don't think anybody can confirm that. From my experience, you might have a higher chance to get an old stock from your local camera store. Get to the menu to see if the firmware is 1.2 or 1.3.
If the camera is now locked, it'd seem the old jist of this thread is moot.

I'd be interested in the Panny, not because it's allegedly sharper, but because it's moire free.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #24
Major Player

GH-1 Vers 122 just purchased at BH

There are still people buying the GH1 with firmware V 1.22. See attached link.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...-r-1-22-a.html

I haven't been able to find evidence that the new cam can not be hacked. We may have to wait to hear Tester13 for a last word.

As for my settings, all of the footage in the sample video was taken with the stock 14-140 lens and an Olympus pancake lens 17mm F2.8.

Today I increased the AVCHD bitrate to 60mb/sec...Incredible what this little thing can do with this new firmware.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
I haven't been able to find evidence that the new cam can not be hacked. We may have to wait to hear Tester13 for a last word.
It's currently un-hackable, but since it's only software, it's only a matter of time before a solution is found.

I've just spent a month shooting with my 7D and GH13 on a cross-Canada trip, both stills and video, and they're complimentary. All my longer glass is EF mount and the 7D is still much faster stills shooter with 8fps and AF, and the GH1 + 14-140 is a great general purpose video + stills machine.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #26
Major Player

Up until the last few weeks I've been a 7D owner from that latter part of 2009. I have since bought a GH-1 and hacked it. I have to say Carlo I definitely share your enthusiam. This is a new camera. The 7D is a great camera no doubt but I feel the GH-1 has changed the game for me. The articulating LCD makes me shoot more comfortably (though I never bought an external LCD for my 7D which could have helped). I'm now able to buy Canon FD lenses (without the extra element in front of the adapter). Asde from the obvious gain in resolution though I am happy about no moire and a lot less aliasing. As far as the colors are concerned I am able to match my old 7D's color with "Nostalgic" mode on the GH-1. I used to think most GH-1 footage looked in-cam-over-sharpened. But shooting in that mode gives me the flatest/softest image....but detailed.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #27
Major Player

Canon FD lenses!

Thanks Ian for you comments.
Please look a the list of FD lenses I purchased and tell me if you think they are good choices and what you would add to it:

Canon FD 50mm f1.4 Breech mount with "chrome nose"
Canon FD 28mm f2.0 Breech mount
Vivitar 28-105 f2.8-f3.8 with Macro
Sigma 28-70 f2.8
Sigma 70-200 f2.8-f3.5

3 adaptors: one from ciecio7, one from Amazon, and one from ebay

All of this for less than $600!!!!

And, of course, the stock lens plus the Olympus PEN 17mm 2.8

Thank you.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD