Would you ditch the 7D for a GH13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Would you ditch the 7D for a GH13

Well...I did. After hacking the GH-1 (GH13) I felt no need owning a 7D anymore. The color and definition of that camera (and the "mud" gone) in my opinion are now superior. See an example below where I show EX1, GH13, and 7D together. I shot a high detailed scene (where the camera reached 45Mb/sec! AVCHD) and on a Dell 2405fp the definition looks in any aspect the same as the EX-1...Amazing.

It is now, in my opinion, just a more versatile tool: you can shoot all day nature and outdoors (with great definition), and slap an FD lens on it, and get the filmic feel to your picture with the DOF you want.
And now 24p, is no more 60i. It's true 24p. Nice.

Yes, the GH1 does NOT have any real time video out, I can definitely deal with that. In our last trip to Italy we were able to shoot entire days with the "on-board" display - no problem.
I can work around ergonomics, but NOT definition. Sharp, clean images, to me are a must. The 7D side-by-side, just can't deliver the same definition, and it's visible (may be not as much in a compressed VIMEO 720p renderings, but it is on a big screen tv). And the images you get straight off the camera to me show a better all around color reproduction, detail, and are more balanced that the 7D (no need to turn contrast all the way down, for example). MJPEG 720p 30fps, if I can ever get a fast enough card, can output 422 color sampling (Trascend class 10 card apparently can not handle it, I will try the Sandisk)

The hacked GH1 looks like a brand new camera. GREAT JOB tester 13!!!!

Comparison video at: el_cieloex1gh17d

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Why does this have to be a contest? Why is it not sufficient to say that the new, hacked GH1 works better for you?

If superior definition is what you seek, then yes, the hack makes the camera a better choice. If performance in low light is what you seek, the 7D is better. If you need to record continuously, the GH1 wins again. If you need to onboard monitoring and send a feed back to video village, the 7D is the better tool. There are some who don't care for the colors that come out of the GH1, hacked or not. I happen to be one of them. I chose a different camera. better for me. Others LOVE the colors that this and other Panasonic cameras have, so they chose what was more suitable for them.

I have 2 Panasonics, 2 Canons, and a Sony. And they all do different things for me.

Why can't we just talk about cameras on their merits without the need to try and make our cameras seem superior to other cameras? Who does that help?
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Contributor

What do you mean by "true 24p"? Did the camera shoot some other version of 24p that really wasn't 24 fps before?

I've seen some decent footage from the GH1, as I have from all the DSLR cameras. But that test is meaningless because you're not comparing the same shots, and there's no information about settings.

I think it would be meaningful for people if you did a GH1 test with another GH1, one with the hack and one without. Then work in some other cameras to see if the GH1 can hold up to the higher resolution and bigger chips. Zacuto did this, but before the hack was available. As it is,your test doesn't show anything that anybody can compare anything to. You have to shoot the same setup, at the same angle, with the same area, with the same lighting, and publish what ISOs were used, what lenses, etc. I could take shots I've done with the 7D and shots I've done with the 5D and even shots I've done with the XH A1, juxtapose them properly and "prove" that the XH A1 looks the best. The GH1 is a decent camera on its own, it doesn't need this kind of thing to show that it's good.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't own any DSLR before. I was convinced to get GH1 to hacked for shooting video. There is no time limit, swing out LCD, silence auto focus..+ the hack allow high data rate. What's not to love! the only problem is, all the new GH1 stock you can buy today comes with the new secret firmware that blocks any GH13 update.

and because of that, I returned the GH1 and get 3 T2i. Panasonic could have me as customers and I would buy at least 3 GH1. Now because of their limited vision, I'm sticking with Canon.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
What do you mean by "true 24p"? Did the camera shoot some other version of 24p that really wasn't 24 fps before?
It shot 24p inside a 60i stream that required pulldown removal. This caused some problems and headaches.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
and because of that, I returned the GH1 and get 3 T2i. Panasonic could have me as customers and I would buy at least 3 GH1. Now because of their limited vision, I'm sticking with Canon.
Panasonic have stated that they did NOT want the GH1 to be anything more than a consumer camera, and have resisted any pressure to target the camera to a more professional audience. They are developing the AF100 for that. Same mount, same lenses, but in a more "video camera" type body. Cost is expected to be about US$6K. Probably a fair price, but outside the realm of what people want from these DLSRs. It's a different market.

Right now, Canon seem to be the only ones truly interested in playing at the low end of the market with these smaller cameras, though Nikon have said they will join the fray in the next 12 months. We'll see.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The GH13 hack actually allow outputing the native 24p stream to file without pulldown inserted.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Why does this have to be a contest? Why is it not sufficient to say that the new, hacked GH1 works better for you?
+1

I'm sick and tired of reading this camera is better than that, blah, blah, bloody blah...

I appreciate what Carlo is saying about the hacked GH1, but given there is going to be a new camera announcement every other week from now until Christmas can we at least keep this forum on topic!
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Also if you actually want to take photos I think the Rebel T2i or 7D wins out. I've been unimpressed with photo samples I've seen from the GH1.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It's the target for one thing, but how the consumers want to use it is another.

I'm a 40 year old driving a Honda Element. I love that car. Honda targeted this car to people in their early twenties. So now these older people (like me) starting to mod the car, adding hinge, doing a bunch of stuff Honda didn't expect us to do. =)

Canon launches their high end camcorder record to CF cards. It's a different market. I probably won't spend $8000 for 1 camcorder to shoot weddings. I always shoot multi-cam. So I need at least 2. It will take a lot of weddings to cover the investment cost.
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Major Player

Perrone,

I think your reply is not quite on target. First of all, anything I said was preceded by "IMO". And in my post I never said that the 7D is not a good tool. I think that anybody is entitled to share opinions, especially if offered in conjunction with a video that people can see and make their on judgment on what is the best tool for them.

I don't feel the way you do. It is not a "contest" as you say, it is simply informing people of what is going on (a lot of 7D owners, like I used to be and you and many others) have the GH1 as well. I was skeptic at first (about the hack), and now I felt overwhalmed to share my opinions to others that are in the same boat. Furthermore, I felt my opinions would be constructive since I did own both the 7D and GH1, and I had plenty of chances to analytically compare them.

Feel free however to consult this link to see a test on resolution charts between 7D and GH1:YouTube - ‪Canon 7D vs Hacked Panasonic Gh1 - 1080P 24fps versus comparison - Bundled lenses‬‎

As I constantly see posts of people trying to make up their minds between the two cameras, I personally think, IMO, that these posts can help (that's how we usually form an idea on what we want to purchase, in depth reviews and user's opinions and videos - if we do not have access to the specific item). And that's why in my post title, the main line is a question. Answers and comments welcome!

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Major Player

100% agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
Also if you actually want to take photos I think the Rebel T2i or 7D wins out. I've been unimpressed with photo samples I've seen from the GH1.
I agree 100% with you. However, my post referred only to the video performance of the camera.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I was actually sold to go with GH1 after watching the series of videos posted by that guy on youtube. However, it was bad timing that I was just one week after Panasonic decide to block the hack. Then ergonomically, I found GH1 isn't that easy to use compared to my T2i.
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post

I've seen some decent footage from the GH1, as I have from all the DSLR cameras. But that test is meaningless because you're not comparing the same shots, and there's no information about settings.

I think it would be meaningful for people if you did a GH1 test with another GH1, one with the hack and one without. Then work in some other cameras to see if the GH1 can hold up to the higher resolution and bigger chips. Zacuto did this, but before the hack was available. As it is,your test doesn't show anything that anybody can compare anything to. You have to shoot the same setup, at the same angle, with the same area, with the same lighting, and publish what ISOs were used, what lenses, etc. I could take shots I've done with the 7D and shots I've done with the 5D and even shots I've done with the XH A1, juxtapose them properly and "prove" that the XH A1 looks the best. The GH1 is a decent camera on its own, it doesn't need this kind of thing to show that it's good.
Bill I agree with you. My post though is not intended obviously as a scentific test, just a chance to share my opinions with others. Everybody watching that video can decide (or get an idea) on what they like best.
Nothing more to it.

If you want to see something more specific, look up the res charts contained in this link:YouTube - ‪Canon 7D vs Hacked Panasonic Gh1 - 1080P 24fps versus comparison - Bundled lenses‬‎

Thank you for your comment.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I don't own any DSLR before. I was convinced to get GH1 to hacked for shooting video. There is no time limit, swing out LCD, silence auto focus..+ the hack allow high data rate. What's not to love! the only problem is, all the new GH1 stock you can buy today comes with the new secret firmware that blocks any GH13 update.

Too bad they did that. Did you have a certain way to confirm that though?
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD