DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D,5D /Vixia (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/483386-7d-5d-vixia.html)

Craig Hollenback August 15th, 2010 04:06 PM

7D,5D /Vixia

Tough call for new camera...we sold our dated Sony Z1U and are left with a Sony EX1 and a Canon Vixia HFS100. Franky in bright Florida Keys sun which is where most of our shooting is done it's tough to see a tremendous difference between the Canon and the EX1 at times. The EX1 is of course a more professional camera and should be for seven or eight times the price of the Vixia.
We shoot stills with an older Canon 5D and 20D's and L series lenses 24-70 and 70 200IS and a 10-22. We are thinking about a new 5D MKII or a 7D or even a T2i. The camera would be used mostly for HD video along with the Sony and the Vixia. Concerns are overheating in 90+ temps and high humidity. Wondering how much better the HD video from The DSLRS are compared to getting another Vixia or 2. Audio is not an issue nor dramatic depth of field and low light as the cameras are used to produce a lifestyle TV show and keeping costs down is always nice.

Any hands on help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Jerry Porter August 15th, 2010 04:40 PM

Hey Craig,
Not sure of your time frame, but I will be in Key West next month with my 7D and you are more than welcome to check it out. I have not had any over heating problems shooting at 1080 (NC summers are a lot like yours) . The only time it has overheated, I was shooting extended periods at 60fps at 720, but that was only one time. I shot with a Z1 for a while and really liked it. At the time it was revolutionary and produced great images (still does), but I have no regrets on making the 7D my camera of choice these days.

Slavomir Valko August 15th, 2010 06:01 PM

Hi Craig,
I live in central FL and T2i without battery grip is overheating every 20 - 25 min.
Shooting outside mostly 720p.

Robert Turchick August 16th, 2010 08:11 PM

Well, here in hell...I mean AZ...I had overheating problems on the t2i with single battery, then battery grip with one and two batteries and that was early in the summer. The ac adapter was the best at beating the heat but after a few hours the temp light came on.

This made me a bit nervous as I had a shoot last Thursday outdoors in a parking lot on what the news predicted was going to be the hottest day of the year.
After a bit of research, bought a bunch of instant ice packs and they saved the shoot. Before each shot, I strapped a fresh pack to the right side of the camera (where the card goes) and never saw the temp light. Shoot started at 90 deg and finished at 111! I was also very conscious about shutting the camera off between takes and keeping it under an umbrella and a towel.

James Donnelly August 17th, 2010 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback (Post 1559387)
We are thinking about a new 5D MKII or a 7D or even a T2i. The camera would be used mostly for HD video along with the Sony and the Vixia. Concerns are overheating in 90+ temps and high humidity. Wondering how much better the HD video from The DSLRS are compared to getting another Vixia or 2. Audio is not an issue nor dramatic depth of field and low light as the cameras are used to produce a lifestyle TV show and keeping costs down is always nice.

Any hands on help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Strictly based on your stated requirements, If it was me, I would buy the Vixias.

As far as I'm concerned, the DSLR's have 4 main advantages; and you already say you are not concerned about shallow depth of field or low light performance, so that only leaves interchangeable lenses (potentially higher quality glass, and therefore IQ) and the superior data rate (approximately double).

Even with the data rate, it's a case of diminishing marginal returns. If I re-encoded the DSLR footage to about half it's recorded data rate in h264, you would be very hard pushed to see the difference from the original without pixel peeping.

On the Vixia side, you have slightly more resolution (although the vertical resolution of the hfs100 has been criticised, it still easily beats the 7d and t2i) less moire and aliasing, less problems with heat and clip length, articulated viewfinder, auto focus, and built in stabilisation.

On the other hand I own a HF100 and a t2i, and I am very grateful to have both on hand, as each covers the other's weaknesses very nicely. If your requirements are ever likely to deviate from those stated, get a DSLR, as you already have a Vixia. You will love it, especially with all the lovely lenses you have.