Normal lenses compared... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #31
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
What does event videography have to do with anything??
The forum is for users of the camera in the title regardless of the content they produce. I'd love to be able to carry one lens around all day, but my clients wouldn't get the best coverage I am capable of.
__________________
WeddingFilms.com>>
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #32
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Liam, Event Video is what Joel does most often.
Yes, I realize he does weddings, I was responding to another poster who had written that they didn't want to carry around a lot of lenses and couldn't afford to buy a lot either. I didn't understand why he was quoting me - maybe our wires were crossed:)

The fact is most people can get along just fine with three lenses or less, there's really no need to buy the contents of your local camera shop. Newbies in particular should just get a couple of lenses and go out and shoot.
__________________
Writer-Director-DOP
www.liamhall.net

Last edited by Liam Hall; August 24th, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #33
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
The fact is most people can get along just fine with three lenses or less, there's really no need to buy the contents of your local camera shop. Newbies in particular should just get a couple of lenses and go out and shoot.
True, which is usually the second step after experimenting with a low-cost zoom. There are many examples of one-lens productions in the samples gallery - shorts, music videos, even a few one-camera weddings. I'm dealing with three and four-camera shoots, and each dslr has a different angle within a situation that I have virtually no control over, including lighting, hence my preoccupation with fast lenses. While doing all that I am trying to remain discreet. In a way its like the cinema verite days of film production - something I've studied. The equipment had to be portable and able to gather images in every environment without supplemental lighting. If you can't get the shot you won't be able to tell the story.
__________________
WeddingFilms.com>>
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #34
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 969
Joel, I didn't realize you were the OP. I now understand why you quoted me earlier! My bad!

Anyway, I took a gander at your lens test. Why do the test wide open? I can't imagine you'd often shoot a wedding at f1.2.
__________________
Writer-Director-DOP
www.liamhall.net
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #35
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 689
Hey,

Quote:
I took a gander at your lens test. Why do the test wide open? I can't imagine you'd often shoot a wedding at f1.2.
Wider apertures mean a lower ISO/less grain. Focusing on a moving subject with a really fast lens takes practice, but its worth the time spent.
__________________
WeddingFilms.com>>
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:03 PM   #36
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chelmsford England
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Great investment! You'll notice a slight softening wide open - appears most visibly with backlit subjects as a slight halation. This completely disappears one notch closed down at 2.8, but in my opinion the extra 1 1/3 stop gained at 1.8 and the resulting lower ISO more than makes up for the slight loss of sharpness.



The only reason I can see for keeping the slower 135's is that they are so much more compact and weigh considerably less. With the Canon adapter ring and a UV filter the Porst 135 f1.8 gets very close to 2lbs.
The beast has arrived from Germany. Absolutely lovely condition - a really beautiful lens.

The halation is less pronounced than most of my fast lenses wide open - a surprise. The only obvious things were as you say, a slight drop off in sharpness, and I have noticed a touch of vignetting. Agree, extremely usable wide open, and it beats the crap out of my other 135's at f/2.8.

This is going to get more use than I thought, especially as a still lens. It is pretty cool to be able to occupy the frame with a sharp, well exposed image a of a face in low light from 10-15 feet away. It really creates an intimate shot because of the shallow DOF and the fact that the distance of the camera is not a threat to the subject.

Just so you know Joel, I would never have know there was an affordable 135 f/1.8 out there, had I not your read the post you made when you got your Porst, a name I hadn't heard of. Keep sharing the knowledge!
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #37
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
...I picked up a used Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS and sold my f4 version of that lens.

Hi Joe, I'm looking to get the Canon 70-200 F2.8... it's $1300 without IS and the new version is $2300 with IS. Do you think it worths the extra $1000 for it? Thanks
__________________
LA Color Pros Blog
RODE Authorized Reseller . Comer LED Camera Lights . TakyBox HTML5 Menu Generator
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM   #38
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: montreal
Posts: 170
thank you Steve!

Because seeing your video made me bought the Vivitar 28mm 1.9 today.

I won't say the price I paid for it (only if some of you insist) because it was like buying an old 70s mustang from a grandmother who did not drive it for 25 years and kept the car in a barn, I feel a little bit ashamed.

But that maybe my reward or compensation for buying a Canon EF 17-85mm which broke 1 week after I bought it (lots of how to repair this lens video's on youtube about this one).

Its funny to see the price of the 60s 70s 80s lenses these day, they cost the same as they were sold back then. Just buy a few 80s magazine like shutterbug, or popular photography and check the prices at B&H in the last pages. Maybe in 10 years from now the value of those lenses will have double. So look for old lenses before there is 3 time more video Dslr users.

I said thank you Steve for the video but I don't know If I should thank you for the audio on your video, because hearing it and seeing your set up might cost me a lot of dollar in the next few month.
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network