DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   New Rig Pic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/483466-new-rig-pic.html)

Kevin Pineda August 17th, 2010 09:54 AM

New Rig Pic

2 Attachment(s)
I have finally added a DSLR rig to my equipment list. Coming from a camcorder setup such as the xh-a1s's, I finally tried out a dslr system and fell in love with it. SO I decided to add a pretty decent rig. Here is the pic.

Taky Cheung August 17th, 2010 10:08 AM

That look slick! I'm also switchign from Xh-A1 to T2i.

I have the same IndiFocus. Received it yesterday. Just have no idea what that long vertical screw right next to the white ring is for. do you have any idea?

Is the matt box from them too? Is it easy to attached?

Kevin Pineda August 17th, 2010 10:17 AM

im not to sure what the screw is for, i just installed it just in case lol. Yea, this mattebox is an indisystem. The mattebox installed very easily and is quite versatile. Definitely well worth the money spent and saved.

Taky Cheung August 17th, 2010 10:19 AM

Did you get the matt box with side flag too? that's $399.. ouch!

I always have this question... the matt box attached to the rail right? So what if you zoom and the lens extrude and retract? how does it work with the matt box together?

Kevin Pineda August 17th, 2010 10:30 AM

Yea I ordered it with the side flags. Still, even at 399, it was cheaper then from what ive found anywhere, including the popular indian retailer over seas. The quality of the box is pretty damn good too, solid and sturdy build.

there is a bit of leeway between the lens and the point of the mattebox where the lens would be stopped. So if you have a longer lens then you would just have to slide the camera plate back a little to compensate. In this pic im using the canon 50mm 1.4 lens, so I positioned it perfectly so when the lens telescopes out, there is enough room to prevent any type of collision with the mattebox. works out pretty well.

Another cool thing is I can remove the handles and the shoulder stem and mount the entire rig on the steadicam and crane. Easy setups.

Taky Cheung August 17th, 2010 10:40 AM

This is my setup

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...lens-hood.html

I am using a Sigma 18-250 lens which extended quite long... do you think it will work with the indi matt box?

Robert Turchick August 17th, 2010 10:46 AM

If it's similar to mine the screw serves as a pointer for marking focus positions. Use a grease pencil on the white part and then you can "preset" focus moves.

Kevin Pineda August 17th, 2010 10:47 AM

wow, that lens really does extend out pretty far. technically it would fit through the mattebox center when extended, but when not fully out, you may have quite a distance between the mattebox and camera. Might have to get one to test it out.

Taky Cheung August 17th, 2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1559992)
If it's similar to mine the screw serves as a pointer for marking focus positions. Use a grease pencil on the white part and then you can "preset" focus moves.

My indiFocus comes with a black market pencil inside the package. there is no instruction sheet and they don't return calls or emails. Kinda frustrated with them. Good product with no customer service is just as bad.

I still don't know what do I need to do with that long vertical screw and the black market pen is for.

Can you describe a little bit more about the preset focus?

Thanks

Kevin Pineda August 17th, 2010 11:19 AM

the pencil is for preset focus markers. So if your focus puller or you, pre plan your focused shot, you can mark the white portion of the ring with the pencil. This way you know the exact location you need to pull to, getting a good clean error free focus.

If you havnt already, the long screw that is attached to the ring, just install that before the main focus gear(white) then hand tighten it up, then put the main white focus ring on after. I think this keeps the main turning gear from slipping, giving you a smooth focus. I could be wrong though lol.

Kevin Pineda August 17th, 2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1559992)

yea that is what it is lol, thank you.

Taky Cheung August 17th, 2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Pineda (Post 1560011)
the pencil is for preset focus markers. So if your focus puller or you, pre plan your focused shot, you can mark the white portion of the ring with the pencil. This way you know the exact location you need to pull to, getting a good clean error free focus.

If you havnt already, the long screw that is attached to the ring, just install that before the main focus gear(white) then hand tighten it up, then put the main white focus ring on after. I think this keeps the main turning gear from slipping, giving you a smooth focus. I could be wrong though lol.

Kevin, thanks for that tips. I will be using it for weddings.. so I wouldn't know any focus i need to plan ahead. Am I right?

regarding that long screw. I tried install it with our without, tightened or not tighetened. it makes no difference... ahhh...

Kevin Pineda August 17th, 2010 11:44 AM

yes you are correct, ive done quite a bit of weddings so, knowing and pre planing your focus shots is difficult.