DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   IndiFocus Components Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/483507-indifocus-components-question.html)

Subbu Vedula August 18th, 2010 06:49 AM

IndiFocus Components Question

I intend to buy IndiFocus for T2i. But I am confused as to what all minimum components to get to make the follow focus work.
Should IndiFocus Mini (indiSYSTEM - indiFOCUSmini) is sufficient or
should I also need to get rails to make it work.
Rails link (indiSYSTEM - indiRAILSpro 12).
Also it mentions about whip and crank and the gears, do i need them also? TIA

Kevin Pineda August 18th, 2010 09:07 AM

you definitely need a rail system to be able to mount the follow focus. The whip and crank are just added accessories, the whip is for your camera assistant if you have a focus puller and the crank is for easy quick focus pulling.

The gears come with the focus package also.

Ron Little August 18th, 2010 10:36 AM

I just ordered the 12 inch rail system and the indi focus pro instead of the mini. I hope it will work with my 7d.
I sent the company an email a couple of days ago and asked what they recommended but I got no response. I needed it for a shoot on Thursday so I took the chance and ordered it any way.

Just waiting for the truck.

Chris Barcellos August 18th, 2010 12:03 PM

I bought an 18 inch Indie rail set , which allows for front mounting of my DFocus follow focus, and rear mounting of my Marshall monitor and an addition of a shoulder rest (DIY)

Subbu Vedula August 18th, 2010 01:28 PM

Thank you all.

Taky Cheung August 19th, 2010 12:57 AM

Good luck getting response back from them. They don't return my phone call nor emails.

I bought both IndiFocusMini and Jag35 DFocus. They both require rail to mount. I coudln't get dFocus to work as I have a battery grip that raised up the T2i. However, IndiFocusMini works that way.

I read from Jag35 web site, you can get the dFocus, and a dMount so you can mount the dfocus through the 1/4 thread at the bottom of the camera without using rail.

Ron Little August 19th, 2010 07:12 AM

Are you happy with the quality of the indiFOCUSmini? Has anyone used the indiFOCUSpro?

I want to buy some more stuff from them but now the web site will not add anything to the cart. I hope their stuff is better than their service.

Joe Pasarela August 19th, 2010 07:33 AM

Yep, their service is horrendous. I ordered a set of rails a few months back. After a couple of weeks of getting no replies to my emails requesting the status of my order, I finally threatened to file a paypal dispute to get my money back. A few hours later I received an email with fedex overnight tracking info.

Taky Cheung August 19th, 2010 09:11 AM

I'm happy with the slider, especially for that price. However, there's really no support and only 1 product image I can find in their web site. Also, it takes like 2 weeks to get the item. There is no communication in between whatsoever.

I have both dFocus by Jag35 and IndiFocusMini. I would say Jag35 has a better quality product. At least it comes with insturctions. However, I have a battery grip with my T2i. Jag35 dFocus won't work in such combination but Indifocusmini does.

Michael Liebergot August 19th, 2010 09:37 AM

Taky, I have the T2i and grip as well. And my D|Focus does work with both rails and the D|Mount.
D|Mount | Jag35.com

What you will have to do is raise the D|Focus up vertically, by adjusting it's height.

While it does work with rails, as I use it on my DVMulti Rig with rail block, I prefer the D|Mount. As I don't have to worry about the added bulk of rails or rail blocks.

The only issue with the D|Mount, is that I have to change to configuration of the mount itself, if I want to sue a long lens. With rails, this isn't needed.

Taky Cheung August 19th, 2010 09:57 AM

Michael, how ca you adjust the height of DFocus? I have their new Version 3...not sure how to adjust the height.

I got email back from Jag35 Kevin saying it won't work with DSLR with battery grip. They plan to make an adapter but they don't know when they will have it done.

"At the moment we are not selling the part that you need to be able to use the D|Focus with a battery grip. We are going to be releasing the extension piece in about a week that will allow your D|Focus to move up and down so that you can use it like in the picture you have attached. "

I filed RMA request to send it back.. as i think that's quite an crucial information that is missing from their product page. If I can adjust the height, I will keep it since I have 3 T2i.

Michael Liebergot August 19th, 2010 10:14 AM

Taky sorry typo on my part.
I am able to use the T2i with battery grip with the Follow focus and D|Mount.

The D|Mount gives you the ability to raise or lower the vertical height.

If you take a look at this image you'll see what I'm talking about.
http://jag35.com/new/wp-content/lg-g...lr_v2-grip.jpg

But the Follow focus by itself will not let you do this.

Taky Cheung August 19th, 2010 10:19 AM

Interesting... so the dMount allows me to raise the dFocus? I don't know why Kevin at Jag35 wouldn't recommend that to me.

Sean Woods August 19th, 2010 04:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't think it's actually raising the Dfocus, but the Dmount does make it manageable to be used with a battery grip with some adjustments just as Michael said. Here are my pics.

Taky Cheung August 19th, 2010 05:32 PM

I got email back from Jag35. I bought the dFocus V3 which is the new version smaller gear and won't work like the old version. Won't be able to adjust the height. That's some new version or product that actually diminish functionality. Returning it!