Testing the IndiFocusMini and IndiSliderMini at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 18th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Testing the IndiFocusMini and IndiSliderMini

Received both IndiFocusMini and IndiSliderMini ordered from IndiSystem. Comes with no instructions. Some guess work. They don't return calls or emails. Great products, bad customer service.

Old August 18th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #2
New Boot

Thanks for the test!

Thanks for posting your video. I enjoyed getting to check it out - and it was cool to see your cat :)
How much do these two products cost, and how would you compare them to similar offerings from other companies?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You are welcome! Glad you like my fat cat. She's round and tail-less =)

You can check out their web site indisystem.com. I really like the indiSliderMini. For $99 that such great price compared to many other places. I get the deluxe model with leg and the pistol.

The indiFocusmini also works well. Just that, when it arrives, it fell apart. There is no instructions. They don't answer phone call or return email. There is only 1 product image on their web site. I did a lot of guess work to put them together.

I'm still amazed at this company that they have great products but they don't take care of the customers. I ordered 2 weeks ago. Only 1 confirm email. NO tracking info. I have to found out from my credit card statement to know they charged me.
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm surprised you had a bad customer service experience. I've purchased from them before and had a very good experience with them.

BTW, your shots look great.
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Actually, I'm not the only one who said they have bad experience. It's all over the internet.. haha.. look at this post

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1560595
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Major Player

I may be in the minority, but I've had great customer service from them. Haves spoken with them several times on the phone, purchased these two items and couldn't be happier.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

You're not in the minority. I sent them about 9 emails, from their site and otherwise but no replies. Very bad customer service and support.
Joseph Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Nice shots- looks like the gear is a good deal! So Taky, starting from scratch: what do I need to buy to make the Indifocus mini and Indislider mini work with my T2i and Manfrotto 503 fluid head?
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

great shots, good to see that the slider is worth the great price. Guess Ill have to get one now. lol
Kevin Pineda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:55 AM   #10
Trustee

Hey Taky, are those the snap gears from IndiFocus that you're using.
How do you like them?

I was seriously thinking about picking some up,as they looked very sleek would make for very quick Follow focus setup times.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
Nice shots- looks like the gear is a good deal! So Taky, starting from scratch: what do I need to buy to make the Indifocus mini and Indislider mini work with my T2i and Manfrotto 503 fluid head?
i would say IndisilderMini is a great product. Most other places are selling for $400 to $600. This slider is only $99. I do buy the the deluxe kit with the pistol and legs for $159.

If you are using FF with battery grip on your T2i, you have to be careful because the focus ring is higher, I have to slide the gear right below the ring gear instead of the left of the ring. The problem would be, if I tilt down, the FF becomes very tigher to rotate. If I tilt up the camera, the ring gears are not touching each other.

After all, I would say FF is not necessary in my situation. When shooting a live event, I don't have enough time to adjust zoom and focus by moving my hand from the zoom ring to the FF. I just use my thumb and index finger to adjust zoom. Then use my ring finger to adjust the focus ring with the gear attached to it.

The IndiFocusMini focus ring is quite useless. It uses magnets to tie to the focus wheel. however, the size is not adjustable making it either too tight or too loose. I bought the ring gear from Jag35.com. They are much better.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
The IndiFocusMini focus ring is quite useless. It uses magnets to tie to the focus wheel. however, the size is not adjustable making it either too tight or too loose.
I love the snap rings, I think they're about the best thing about the FF. It should have come with additional foam inserts you can use to make the ring fit the lens properly.

I love being able to just pop them off so that I can fit my camera and lenses in my bags.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I thoguht I like the snap ring too. However, they just got loose easily.. also the ring won't fit to the lens either too tight or too loose. I like the Jag35 ring as it looks cool too =)
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
i would say IndisilderMini is a great product. Most other places are selling for $400 to $600. This slider is only $99. I do buy the the deluxe kit with the pistol and legs for $159.

If you are using FF with battery grip on your T2i, you have to be careful because the focus ring is higher, I have to slide the gear right below the ring gear instead of the left of the ring. The problem would be, if I tilt down, the FF becomes very tigher to rotate. If I tilt up the camera, the ring gears are not touching each other.

After all, I would say FF is not necessary in my situation. When shooting a live event, I don't have enough time to adjust zoom and focus by moving my hand from the zoom ring to the FF. I just use my thumb and index finger to adjust zoom. Then use my ring finger to adjust the focus ring with the gear attached to it.

The IndiFocusMini focus ring is quite useless. It uses magnets to tie to the focus wheel. however, the size is not adjustable making it either too tight or too loose. I bought the ring gear from Jag35.com. They are much better.
I deduct from this that you would not recommend the FF? How did you get those nice results if the focus ring is useless? Do you know if I can I use the 12' rails or do I need the DSLR rails?
When you say you don't need the FF; you might as well say you don't need the slider either... for shooting live events. Unless you want to lay it onstage...
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:37 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I'm sure FF is important and useful to film maker. But for live event like I did (wedding), i just don't have the time to adjust zoom, the move my hand to the FF to adjust the focus. It's just too slow and I will miss important moment. So I already trained myself to adjust the zoom with index finger and thumb. Then set the focus with ring finger on the focus ring gear.

So for me, having those gear is enough. I do have to admit the FF draws a lot of attention .. that people come over and ask me what it is. =)

slider is a different thing. It's for cinematic shots. I use it before and after the ceremony, or any other time when nothing is going on. I also put the same quick release on the slider so I can mount it on the tripod when shooting live event. I shot with multiple cams. So I can always play with it while the other cam is still filming.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD