DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon 7D vs. Nikon D3100 for "VIDEO" ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/483633-canon-7d-vs-nikon-d3100-video.html)

George D. Dodge August 21st, 2010 12:28 PM

Canon 7D vs. Nikon D3100 for "VIDEO" ?

Well well, looks like the 7D has some competition. A new kid is on the block by the name of the Nikon D3100.

It's true, the Nikon is only 14MP, but it has AF "during" video capture, AND records in full HD, in h.264. Also, it's only $690.oo It has live view, one touch record, and a 3" LCD screen too, just like the Canon. No hassles using Nikon lenses either.

Very, very interesting. I will most definitely be checking into this new camera of Nikon's when I can get my grubby little hands on it.

Your feeling and opinions on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert Turchick August 21st, 2010 12:48 PM

No, not competition for the 7d, clearly aimed at the t2i though.
Big downside is the single framerate but the continuous autofocus looks interesting.
Look forward to seeing the side by side footage. I hope Nikon did their homework codec-wise!
Doesn't look like they improved the audio section either.
To me this is a preview of what Nikon will be releasing to compete with the 7d and 5d. And the t2i looks pretty safe in its space unless people have nikon glass they've been waiting to use (which I know there are a lot of you out there)
While its a good effort and will certainly sell, it's not enough to sway me from Canon.

Perrone Ford August 21st, 2010 12:53 PM

A quick check of the specs for the camera show that it's far lower bitrate recording than the Canon (which is already marginal), it has less than half the pixels in that 3" LCD screen so focusing with it will nearly be impossible, and in fact, it doesn't appear to have manual control in video mode.

On balance, I'd say it's more aimed at the T1i than the T2i.

Marc Brackhahn August 21st, 2010 05:56 PM

The nice goodies will probably be in the D90 replacement.

Manus Sweeney August 22nd, 2010 08:57 AM

lots of wobble still in the test video

Khoi Pham August 22nd, 2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1561241)
A quick check of the specs for the camera show that it's far lower bitrate recording than the Canon (which is already marginal), it has less than half the pixels in that 3" LCD screen so focusing with it will nearly be impossible, and in fact, it doesn't appear to have manual control in video mode.

On balance, I'd say it's more aimed at the T1i than the T2i.

Low LCD resolution doesn't matter that much if the camera has good face tracking autofocus but no manual control is not good. I hope 60D will have some goodies.

Bill Pryor August 22nd, 2010 10:18 AM

It looks to me it might be more competitive to the Panasonic GH1. About the same resolution, I think, but bigger chip.