Canon 7D vs. Nikon D3100 for "VIDEO" ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon 7D vs. Nikon D3100 for "VIDEO" ?

Well well, looks like the 7D has some competition. A new kid is on the block by the name of the Nikon D3100.

It's true, the Nikon is only 14MP, but it has AF "during" video capture, AND records in full HD, in h.264. Also, it's only $690.oo It has live view, one touch record, and a 3" LCD screen too, just like the Canon. No hassles using Nikon lenses either.

Very, very interesting. I will most definitely be checking into this new camera of Nikon's when I can get my grubby little hands on it.

Your feeling and opinions on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
George D. Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Trustee

No, not competition for the 7d, clearly aimed at the t2i though.
Big downside is the single framerate but the continuous autofocus looks interesting.
Look forward to seeing the side by side footage. I hope Nikon did their homework codec-wise!
Doesn't look like they improved the audio section either.
To me this is a preview of what Nikon will be releasing to compete with the 7d and 5d. And the t2i looks pretty safe in its space unless people have nikon glass they've been waiting to use (which I know there are a lot of you out there)
While its a good effort and will certainly sell, it's not enough to sway me from Canon.
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

A quick check of the specs for the camera show that it's far lower bitrate recording than the Canon (which is already marginal), it has less than half the pixels in that 3" LCD screen so focusing with it will nearly be impossible, and in fact, it doesn't appear to have manual control in video mode.

On balance, I'd say it's more aimed at the T1i than the T2i.
Old August 21st, 2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The nice goodies will probably be in the D90 replacement.
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Major Player

lots of wobble still in the test video
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
A quick check of the specs for the camera show that it's far lower bitrate recording than the Canon (which is already marginal), it has less than half the pixels in that 3" LCD screen so focusing with it will nearly be impossible, and in fact, it doesn't appear to have manual control in video mode.

On balance, I'd say it's more aimed at the T1i than the T2i.
Low LCD resolution doesn't matter that much if the camera has good face tracking autofocus but no manual control is not good. I hope 60D will have some goodies.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Contributor

It looks to me it might be more competitive to the Panasonic GH1. About the same resolution, I think, but bigger chip.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD