My First DSLR Wedding Experience - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 26th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #16
Major Player

Yep, that was me who did the slide show. I was also a guest so I only filmed every once in a while. I was surprised by how many vendors were working. Everyone had an assistant, even the DJ!

During the reception my tripod was way off to the side, 90° from your camera, but I lucked out because your two on-camera lights became my key light, your two lights on the stand became my fill and the hotel's ceiling mounted lights added some backlight. That backlight was beautiful. Here's a frame from some of the footage.

I got a lot of footage of you swooping around with that Merlin. I'm sure it'll look awesome!

This was also my first time making a wedding slide show and I learned a lot while observing the audience's reaction. People really liked the more funny pictures, but couples tend to just give you posed pictures with people in a group. I know the couple and had more interesting pictures in my own files but I was unable/afraid to use more of them.
Attached Thumbnails
My First DSLR Wedding Experience-sample.jpg  
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #17
Inner Circle

ha Tim! That's really you, I did interview you that night.. haha it was quite fun with all the drunk people.

Your shot is nice with my comers light on light stand.. What you gonna do with the footage? Are they expecting a web video or DVD or BluRay from you?
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #18
Major Player

Hey Taky, congratulation on your first full DSLR wedding! :)

Not sure if you've got monopod on your gearlist, but I found that I can't live without monopod when shooting on my DSLR. It just helps reduce the shake significantly!

I'm also using the indiSlider but I've changed the head with a Manfrotto head so that I can switch easily whenever I want to as my gears have the same QR plate.

On the lens side, these are my cheap & efficient list:
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC
Canon 70-200mm f4L
and Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

I always use the lens focus ring for focusing. I'm getting pretty good at zooming and focusing almost at the same time. Although I can sometime missed the focus too so I always re-check everytime to make sure I'm in focus. I heard Z-Finder is a good addition too.. but at the cost its just too expensive for me at this time..
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Johannes.

I have manfrotto monopod. But I use tripods most of the time since I'm shooting multi-cam. I have to go between cams to check.

I order the IndiSliderMini deluxe version that comes with the pistol too. But they are not using Manfrotto quick release. So I bought this to add on top of it. I think it's same like yours

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/241139-REG/Manfrotto_577_577_Rapid_Connect_Adapter.html
Next on my list is to buy some fast lens =)
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #20
Major Player

Hey Taky, they're not expecting anything official from me because they already have your video. I was shooting extra footage mainly for my own practice. But I'll probably put some clips up on the web so they can share with their friends and then give them the raw footage at some point. The files are huge so I have to find a way to get it to them.

Great idea about the monopod, Johannes. I was kicking myself afterward for not bringing mine. I really dislike shaky footage, so it would have helped a lot in the behind the scenes footage I was shot where there was no room for a tripod.

Also, I was surprised by how nice a manual zoom can look (with a ring type zoom and not a push-pull). At first I wasn't sure if I could zoom smoothly enough by hand but it turns out there's sort of an organic look to a manual zoom compared to the mechanical feel of a servo zoom.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Yes, recording does start the moment the record movie button is pressed. The delay in display is due to the switching of HDMI signal. It's a bit annoying as a trade off. Focusing with a 7" monitor is way much better.
Nice to read about your experiences, Taky, and thanks for sharing.

One thing I don't understand: how can you focus HD on a monitor that doesn't do 1920x1080?

And how do you power the monitor?
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #22
Major Player

Great read, Taky! I have the JAG35 monitor, which I believe is the same as the Lilliput one, just rebranded. I bought an Ikan battery adapter for Sony batteries thatbI use for my AX-2000. The 970 batteries last all day powering the monitor. I attached the Ikan using Velcro with no worries. The monitor is used for both the Sony and my T2i. Very nice and easy.

I use my T2i as a B- cam to the Sony and have found that they match up nicely. I use a Tamron 18-270 zoom on that sucker. It's an f3.5, but has worked well enough for me in my shooting situations. I do intend on getting a few fast primes when the cash is available, though.
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #23
Major Player

Sorry to labour the point but can someone clarify how you can accurately focus HD video on a monitor that has a resolution of 800x480?
(Bob, to what did you attach the Ikan? Do you have pictures of your setup?)
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #24
Inner Circle

It doesn't seem to be an issue. Even the T2i built-in 3" monitor is not 1920x1080 but you can still focus with it.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Bob, glad you like it. I checked the Tamron.. it has the same aperture f3.5-6.4 as the Sigmna but you have a even bigger zoom range. The things about Tamron that turn me off is the reverse rotation of zoom... I'll stick with the Sigma for now.. and when I can afford, will get some fast lens.
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be an issue. Even the T2i built-in 3" monitor is not 1920x1080 but you can still focus with it.
The built-in 3" monitor is just 720x480.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The built-in 3" monitor is just 720x480.
Quote:
But it has a million or so pixels... it's confusing... I guess the numbers don't matter, as long as it works and you have been able to get sharp focus manually- I'll get one.
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #28
Inner Circle

That's exactly it is. You don't have to have all 1920x1080 to get focus.

If you are interested in the Lilliput monitor set, email me at info@lacolorshop.com, I can get you a good deal.
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
But it has a million or so pixels... it's confusing... I guess the numbers don't matter, as long as it works and you have been able to get sharp focus manually- I'll get one.
It doesn't have a million pixels. Canon are I think rather deceptive in the way that they describe the LCDs on their DSLRs for they talk about the number of 'dots'. So the T2i/550D has a screen that is 720x480x3 ( the R,G & B 'dots')= 1036800 'dots' but only 345600 pixels.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD