DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7d + agc + rode videomic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/483822-7d-agc-rode-videomic.html)

Tans Mark August 25th, 2010 05:56 AM

7d + agc + rode videomic

Hello,

I would like to hear some real experience about how bad the situation with this configuration.

i had red lots of discussion about it in different forums, lots of cry, i won't work, too much agc... blah, blah, blah.

I need to know that if I connect the rode directly into the 7d, and start recoring video on a event in a parking place (assume there is always more or less background noise), then the audio of thee rode + 7d configuration:

- will be worse than the built in 7d microphone (completely useless)
- the audio will be the same (then why spend 100 usd for an additional microphone)
- even with agc, with the hiss, and the constant volume up and down, the audio will better than the 7d onboard microphone (so I must buy the rode).

I am not intrested in any DIY solution, like buying tons of addition cables and mp3 recorders, and spending time and $$$ for a working solution.

I would like to know if 7f + rode configuration will work correctly, or not.

Thank you for your answer.

Matthias Krause August 25th, 2010 05:59 AM

Simple: It will be better than the build-in mic but still not usable unless you are looking for ambient sound only.

Tans Mark August 25th, 2010 06:06 AM

Matthias:

May I ask to look at this video, please : YouTube - Honda CRX Del Sol Club Holland Meeting

This kind of event I would like to film with 7d + rode. Is it correct that in this event there is no 'only ambient sound', so the with rode I can record better sound ? Also is it correct that in such events I can make interviews with better sound if I use the rode ?

Thank you.

Jimmy Toha August 25th, 2010 06:52 AM

I share the same sentiment, Tans.

If Canon came out with 5D2 firmware for manual audio control and thereby killing the AGC problem, they should just release the same for 7D already, even if it's an additional minute firmware version 0.0.0.0.0.1.

Matthias Krause August 25th, 2010 08:40 AM

Trans, I´m not sure what to say since the video you linked to is so bad on so many levels. Let´s put it like this: Using the Videomic will improve your sound compared to the built-in mice. If it is going to be "good" or "good enough" depends on your expectations. In order to get a half decend sound you just have too many things working against you: noisy environment, on-camera mic (too far from the subject for interviews), AGC that will introduce hiss every time the noise floor goes down etc...

Bill Pryor August 25th, 2010 01:37 PM

For picking up ambient sound, even with AGC, the Røde will be better than the camera mic simple because it is more directional. But as noted, you don't get good dialog or interviews. For home movies it may be acceptable.

Tans Mark August 26th, 2010 04:07 AM

Matthias, Jimmy, Bill:

Thank you.