Shooting outdoors.. LCD is so worthless! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 31st, 2010, 02:27 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Martyn, your welcome to have my Delkin shade if you want, I don't think I will use it now I have the LCDVF. Just pm me your address and I'll post it to you.
Jon Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:41 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Hull View Post
The opticion told me very few middle aged and older people can see close up,my wife is younger than me and her eyes wont focus close up with her reading glasses worse without ,are we unlucky can people realy get good in focus vision close up i cant remember how mine have changed.
If like me you are short sighted i.e. need glasses for distance vision then you gain in middle age as the age-related long sightedness is counterbalanced by the short sightedness. When my vision is corrected then I cannot focus so close but without glasses it's fine. I gave up wearing contact lenses full-time a few years ago as I started to need to wear glasses for reading & other close work. I actually find it easier to just take off my glasses & hold the book close-up. It does mean that I can focus up very close on a DSLR LCD. I have even experimented with a contact lens in my left eye so I can keep an eye on the action that I am filming while leaving my right eye uncorrected & focused on the LCD.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:26 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rule View Post
Martyn, your welcome to have my Delkin shade if you want, I don't think I will use it now I have the LCDVF. Just pm me your address and I'll post it to you.
thanks a million ,you could send on your best wide angle as well if you like i bet you dont use it either,seriously thanks your a gent i have sent a pm of my address.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:33 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
If like me you are short sighted i.e. need glasses for distance vision then you gain in middle age as the age-related long sightedness is counterbalanced by the short sightedness. When my vision is corrected then I cannot focus so close but without glasses it's fine. I gave up wearing contact lenses full-time a few years ago as I started to need to wear glasses for reading & other close work. I actually find it easier to just take off my glasses & hold the book close-up. It does mean that I can focus up very close on a DSLR LCD. I have even experimented with a contact lens in my left eye so I can keep an eye on the action that I am filming while leaving my right eye uncorrected & focused on the LCD.
We have different problems i think Nigel my vision is 100% perfect from just over one mtr to infinity closer than that its blurred without glasses.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:28 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rule View Post
Hi Jon.
What is the LCDVF like for short sight, I have +2 on my glasses, I know there is no diopter adjustment on the LCDVF, would you say there is much leaway ?
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:14 AM   #21
Major Player

My great grandfather was a photographer of some note. Like other photographers of the time he used to cover himself and most of his camera with a sort of big black blanket in order to focus. See how far we have come.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:16 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Hi Jon.
What is the LCDVF like for short sight, I have +2 on my glasses, I know there is no diopter adjustment on the LCDVF, would you say there is much leaway ?
Hi Colin, sorry can't help you there as I'm not short sighted.
Jon Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 08:51 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
The leeway will depend on your eyes & not the actual dioptre correction. +2 is pretty moderate short sight but as you get older then the ability of you to adjust your eye decreases. It becomes 'stiffer' & it is this failure of accommodation that may prevent you focusing on the LCD screen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accommodation_(eye)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:22 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I've been really pleased with the cavision viewfinder with the T2i plate. It's not a zacuto but does the job. Not adjustable magnification, but I have bad close-focus issues and I can focus like a champ. Swings away with the turn of a lock knob, too. Great price for what it does.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:10 PM   #25
Major Player

If I remember, the Cavision loupe has no dioptor - the Hoodman does at a cheaper price. Unless your eyes are 20/20...Cavision is useless.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:21 PM   #26
Major Player

I don't wear glasses, so the LCDVF is perfect for me. I love it.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Jon.
From the product description: No diopter correction (still usable from +0.5 to -2)
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanter View Post
If I remember, the Cavision loupe has no dioptor - the Hoodman does at a cheaper price. Unless your eyes are 20/20...Cavision is useless.
Nope, just a ton of magnification - and I'm far from 20/20.

Hoodman is cheaper, and it's great if you like to wrap your camera in rubber bands (or use that terrible redrock plate). Cavision has a really useable, swing-away mounting system - and it looks great on my rig, which does matter to me. The first spot I shot with it is running on Comedy Central/etc, I've used it on every commercial gig since. I can press every button on the camera and the baseplate clears the battery door. I could have purchased the Zacuto but I don't like their glue-it-on solution. the Cavision never leaves my rig.

The only issue one might have with the Cavision is it has some barrel distortion - if I was doing something like architectural films, I might shop around some more.

When I use a loupe on film, or use a magnifying glass, I never see the need for an adjustable diopter, and I need readers for reading and never long to turn a knob on those - magnification is magnification, I can see every pixel and have had zero focus issues. After my first daylight shot without a loupe, I'm in focus heaven, for under $200. Awesome little piece of gear, and like most Cavision stuff the baseplate is covered with tapped holes for adapting to whatever rig you come up with. I've used it on three different rod systems with no issues.

"Useless" - that's funny.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Have you looked at the Hoodman Pro Cinema Kit? It seems to do away with the rubber bands.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails
Shooting outdoors.. LCD is so worthless!-img_2967.jpg  
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #30
Trustee

FWIW I have both the CAVISION and Hoodman setups. And use both although the CAVISION stays with my 7D because it's not as quickly adjustable as the Hoodcrane is.

I am nearsighted and at 72 wear trifocals but find that with either system above I use the "baseline" (distance) portion of my eyeglass lens to focus with. The CAVISION while having no diopter adjustment still poses no problem for corrected eyesight.

For simplicity purposes, so I use either system the same way, I have the diopter adjust for the Hoodloupe (with the 3X eyepiece in place) set for the "baseline" portion of my eyeglass lens. The Hoodman setup generally stays with my T2i.

Both systems do the job and do it well.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD