Alternative Audio Solution without ACG at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Alternative Audio Solution without ACG

I was looking at an alternative cheaper solution to the popular Zoom H4, BeachTek and Juicedlink recorders for use for Radio Mic interviews. I came across the IPOD HAND HELD RECORDER / MIXER using 16-bit 44kHz.

You can plug in your headphones to listen while your iPod records your audio source. It has 2 inputs with XLR and 1/4" jacks for connecting mics. It also has a 3.5mm stereo input for mics or line level sources.

MANUAL STATES:
There are Gain Control Switches
OFF: No pre-gain is applied. Use this setting for line-level sources.
AUTO: This setting applies pre-gain that adjusts to the input audio
signal. The pre-gain is automatically reduced when the input signal
gets louder. This setting can be used with microphone or line-level
inputs.
LOW: A low amount of pre-gain is applied. This setting tends to work
best when using microphones in loud situations. This setting can also
be used for non-microphone sources that are a little too quiet.
HIGH: A high amount of pre-gain is applied. This setting should be used
when recording very quiet or distant subjects using microphones.

You can buy this for around AU$120
F8Z295 Belkin GoStudio

Has anyone thoughts on how this would be for an alternative method for using separate sound recording with a radio mic for the 7D?
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow, looks cool at the very least. Would love to hear someone's personal experience with it.
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Here's another option. I have seen it demo'ed and was fairly impressed with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598800-REG/Alesis_PROTRACK_RECORDING_KIT_ProTrack_Mobile_Recording_Kit.html
My only problem with the unit and the one you linked to is the wav files are 44.1 instead of 48. That means they won't sync as well with video clips in post. I almost bought the Alesis at one point...just never pulled the plug. The kit I linked to was a pretty sweet deal. The mics that come with it are decent. I figured for a wedding you could pull a sound feed from a DJ board, use one of those external mics to mic the DJ speaker stack (redundancy) and point the other to the crowd for ambient. All could be mounted on a mic stand next to the DJ setup. In one recording you have a great mix of reception audio. The onboard mics on the unit are pretty decent too.

The world of small high quality recorders is just growing like crazy now. There are so many options.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Contributor

I don't think either of those gadgets is a recorder. From the B&H features list:

"The ProTrack Mobile Recording Kit from Alesis is a handy mobile recording system designed for use with your iPod. The kit includes a ProTrack handheld recorder, which records stereo audio directly to your iPod. It also includes a pair of AM2 condenser mics and accessories."

It appears to be nothing more than an interface to allow you to use an iPod as a recorder. I'm not sure why anybody would want to do that. The 44.1 is not good, and doesn't the iPod just do MP3? Anyway, you buy an iPod and you buy this and you've spent a lot more than a real recorder. For under $300 you can get the Zoom H4N, and the Tascam DR100 (is that the right number?) is a little over $300. Both excellent recorders for the money.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The idea is not that someone would go out and buy one of these units AND an iPod. The idea is many people already have an iPod and it gives you the ability to use it as a recorder. Once you mount the iPod in one of these units my understanding is it becomes a mass storage device and will record whatever you feed it. In iPod mode it only records mp3 or m4p files via iTunes.

If someone already has an iPod and is on a tight budget then this may be an alternative to more expensive H4n....plus when you are done using it you still have an iPod to play tunes on.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This was my thinking as I already own a iPod. Ive never had a problem exporting 44.1 kHz to 48 using Quicktime to AIFFS for syncing and quality is usually acceptable if the original is clean.

Considering it has an option to turn off AGC and is cheap and for someone who already owns radio mics and an iPod i thought it could work.

Hmmm....
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Trustee

The iPod was not designed for continuous use. The hard drive is meant to spin up, load MP3s into the buffer for playback, and then spin down. I don't know if you've ever copied lots of data to the iPod from your computer before, but it gets very hot after only ten or fifteen minutes. If you are thinking of trying to continuously record audio to the iPod for an extended periods of time, chances are you will wear out the drive or overheat the device. Plus what happens when you run out of battery power? The charging port is already occupied by that bulky add-on. If you're going to try dual audio, buy a purpose-built device...$300 is not a lot of money in the long run. How much will it cost to replace your burnt-out iPod?
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Cheers Ben,

Until the right firmware comes out i will record sound separately for interviews using one my second cameras i.e Z5.

I know $300 aint a lot of money but my wife has a baby due in 4 weeks so i would cop a hell of abuse if i bought a new toy hehe.

Mark
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD