could someone explain the 12 min rec. limit? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:56 AM   #16
Major Player

have a search for 'mud' and 'gh1'.. lots of test videos around, AVCHD is at a very low bitrate on the gh1
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM   #17
Major Player

OK, back to the OP...

I believe the 12min record thing has to do with the EU & taxes. Still cameras & video cameras are taxed differently when you purchase them, the 12min cap makes it so it is considered more of a still camera than a video camera. After all, no real video camera just stops recording after X # of min.

This is what I've remembered seeing before, but I can't find it now to back it up.

If this is the case, I don't know why Canon just didn't release a EU version with the cap & another version w/o the cap to the rest of the world.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Payne View Post
whoa.. that changes everything... So there is no model that will shoot 25p instead of 24p and have no record limit?
Sorry David, I did not pay attention to the fact that you are in Europe. Yes, EU version of the GH1 stops recording at 30 minutes. If it recorded longer, it would be classified as a video camera and taxed higher.

However... there are firmware hacks freely available that remove the 30 minute limit and enable 25p recording. A Google search will reveal the details.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:35 AM   #19
Major Player

The more I read up the more I find out that this camera relies on 'hacks' to do the job I'd want it to do... the removal of the 30 min limit, the 50mb bitrate, removing the 'mud'.... It just sounds so risky.

Is it going to be a case of the iphone with Panasonic refusing to offer any service/advice if the device is hacked.
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM   #20
Trustee

Yeah, I guess that's what happens when you want a piece of equipment to do what it was not intended to do (at least in the EU.)

Here in the USA, I've been using my GH1 as it came out of the box with no complaints.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:36 PM   #21
Major Player

but the mud and low bitrate is nothing to do with the EU model. I've seen some great clips on vimeo of the autofocus on the 14-140 at work and its tempted me more... I suppose there are no automatic firmware updates like with hacked iphones etc so surely once its hacked and working ok theres no risk of it being locked/bricked in future...? I hope...
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
OK, back to the OP...

I believe the 12min record thing has to do with the EU & taxes.
I was under the impression that it was because of the FAT32 maximum file size, which is theoretically +/- 4gigs.

12 minutes * 330mpm (megabytes per minute on the 7d for 1080p footage) = 3960 megs, or about 4 gigs.
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #23
Inner Circle

No. Yes that math works out, but other VIDEO cameras are subject to exactly the same math, So when one file reaches it's limit, they start another file immediately, and keep recording. Unlike these cameras which simply stop and do NOT start another recording.
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #24
Major Player

I have both the GH1 (with the hack) and 7D.

Both have their own strengths.

GH1
- longer recording limit
- much smaller/lighter with articulated LCD and very good EVF
- greater choice of recording formats, HD & SD
- very adaptable to 3rd party lenses, with manual focus and aperture control
- fast and usable AF in video mode
- probably the best all-around 10x zoom out there in DSLR land.

7D
- many more fast and wide lenses to choose from, 17-50/2.8's with IS/OS/VC (Canon, Sigma and Tamron all make one), Tokina's 11-16/2.8 and also other fast and wide primes
- CF cards are still cheaper and faster than SD's
- better battery life with an option of a battery grip
- more robust
- I also use the custom C1, C2 and C3 settings on the dial alot
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I was wanting to go with the GH1 route but I joined the party late. All the Gh1 out there I can find is unhackale. That makes the low bitrate AVCHD quite inferior. Panasonic decided to block the hack so they would think consumers would go with their higher end camcorders? I ended up bought 3 canon t2i instead.

The 12 min limit ties to the SD card FAT32 format that each file is only 4GB. Gh1 will increment the next file automatically so that would be an issue. The EU tax issue limit is 30 minues (29:59). Good thing for T2i that support the latest SDXC card that can record 30 minutes at a time.

I was worrying about the 12 minutes will be a big problem when shooting weddings. It ended up it is not an issue. I just always remember to stop recording and record again. With 2 cameras taking turns, still have continously coverage. The overheating is another concern anyway.
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #26
Major Player

Taky, have you experienced the overheating then? Is that with the GH1?

How can you tell if a GH1 is hackable before purchasing? I've seen one on ebay that claims to be on 1.3 firmware..?
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I don't own any Gh1 anymore so I don't knwo about the overheating issue with it. But for 7D and T2i,

firmware 1.3 is not hackable. I don't think you can find any new stock that is hackable these days.

But after trying out with Gh1 and T2i, I don't like GH1 design. T2i is much easier to use. I use it with battery grip, and there're plenty of lens choices.
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #28
Trustee

I have not experience any overheating with my GH1. However, when it starts a new file at 12 minutes (4GB), it misses a half-second or so of material. While that doesn't seem like a big deal, I'm always worried it'll happen over an important word during a presentation or something like that.
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I don't think you can find any new stock that is hackable these days.
how can you tell before buying? this has stopped me in my tracks... i was ready to buy!
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Payne View Post
how can you tell before buying? this has stopped me in my tracks... i was ready to buy!
You can't. I suspect that's stopped a lot of people in their tracks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD