HDMI capture out of 7D? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #31
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Spangler View Post
Charles, is there a way to get rid of the letterbox or the pillabox? I am wasting about 25% of my monitor's resolution because of this annoying fact. Also, is there a way to remove the AF point box? I can't find a way to do it.
Nope on letterbox or pillarbox. Full-rez HDMI output is one of the features that everyone who uses these cameras are eager to see (and by eager I mean rabid!)

The AF box can't be removed during preview, but it goes away when you hit record. Most of the time I move it down to the bottom of the screen where it isn't in the way (it's almost completely out of the picture area).
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:41 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post

The AF box can't be removed during preview, but it goes away when you hit record.
I believe if you have an auto focus lens attached, and auto focus is set ON, then the box will stay there.
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM   #33
Wrangler

Gotcha--I generally shoot with the ZE's. That does ring a bell with the Canon zooms. However, since AF doesn't work during video shooting anyway, then just leave the lens on manual focus...?
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Definitely. Sometimes I'll use the auto focus to pull a focus a static item, then turn it to manual. However, sometimes I'll forget to turn it back and will wonder why the box is still there...
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:38 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Thanks, Charles, for the lowdown on the pillar/letterboxing. Perhaps a firmware upgrade in the future will kill this problem. I'd like to see the entire underscan on my VX7.

About the AF point box. I also use Zeiss ZE lenses, so turning off the auto-focus is not an option. I will use your suggestion and just move it as far down as it will go.
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM   #36
Wrangler

You should be fine Gabe--with the ZE's the box just disappears when you roll (there's no autofocus to turn on or off!)
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:11 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Right, Charles, with the ZE's there's no auto-focus option. Just for composition purposes pre-roll, that damn white box annoys me.
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #38
Trustee

This colorist makes the point :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #39
Wrangler

Sort of interesting but it feels like the gains are minimal. Would be worth investigating for a 2:40 project, where the red dot would be eliminated above the frame.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD