DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   HDMI capture out of 7D? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/484573-hdmi-capture-out-7d.html)

Alex Raskin September 11th, 2010 12:23 AM

HDMI capture out of 7D?

Bumped into this today:

Atomos - Enter The Ninja

Less than $800 Euros seem to buy a portable HDMI recorder into ProRes codec.

What do you think regarding 7D video out and this box?

Perrone Ford September 11th, 2010 01:48 AM

You can't record a clean signal out of the 7D HDMI port. Waste of money for that purpose...

John Kopec September 11th, 2010 07:44 AM

Ugh, I know, it's frustrating. If it did, I would seriously consider getting something like this...

John Richard September 11th, 2010 08:47 AM

Well they are clearly advertising the recording of HDMI output from HDDSLR cameras.
I know of no current HDDSLR camera that has an HDMI output that would be usable for this device and final production.

Ram Shani September 11th, 2010 09:05 AM

the 7d output is hd
and if you don't push record on your 5d mark 2 the signal out put stay at hd

so the chance is thatr it can be done

my Q is how you handle monitoring?

Perrone Ford September 11th, 2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram Shani (Post 1568274)
the 7d output is hd
and if you don't push record on your 5d mark 2 the signal out put stay at hd

so the chance is thatr it can be done

my Q is how you handle monitoring?

Let me say it again...

NONE of the current crop of DSLRs, Canon or otherwise, can output a clean HD signal over HDMI. if they did, you wouldn't have Shane Hurlbut, Rodney Charters, and other guys who have $100k recorders at their disposal, recording the native codec onto CompactFlash cards.

It's just not possible yet.

Alex Raskin September 11th, 2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

a clean HD signal over HDMI
Perrone, how's current signal "not clean"?

Thanks.

Charles Papert September 11th, 2010 11:49 AM

The monitored image is both letterboxed and pillarboxed within the HD frame, so the frame size is smaller than HD. You could theoretically capture it and blow it up but what would be the point.

Alex Raskin September 11th, 2010 11:57 AM

Charles, I have 7D and that's what it looks like. Just wanted to clarify.

Out of curiosity - same with 5D Mk II (before you hit Rec), or not?

Charles Papert September 11th, 2010 12:03 PM

yes, Live View is the same on all three Canons--on the 5D it drops the output resolution to SD when you hit record.

Alex Raskin September 11th, 2010 12:55 PM

... and I assume USB connection to EOS utility does not have enough bandwidth to capture HD video without dropping frames, either?

Sherif Choudhry September 11th, 2010 03:52 PM

OT ...but it would be awesome on a Sony V1 which i believe does output uncompressed HD from its HDMI out in real-time!!!??

Alex Raskin September 11th, 2010 03:55 PM

Sony Z5/Z7 do to, I think?

And Sony makes its own tapeless recorder, but maybe not as small and cool looking like the one I linked to.

Then again, there's realiability...

Sherif Choudhry September 11th, 2010 06:52 PM

OT... Alex, unless ive been asleep i think the sony tapeless solutions capture M2T hdv files, and NOT uncompressed HD to apple prores 422 HiQu, which is what the ninja apparently says it will do - this would be phenomenal! (if it was converting hdv files to prores i would be less excited).
sc

Alex Raskin September 11th, 2010 06:56 PM

I'm going to put on my flame-retardant suit and claim that the difference between the footage captured into Sony MPEG2 HDV Codec vs. Apple ProRes will not be noticeable under virtually all of the practical shooting situations. Even at 35Mps, Sony codec has no detectable motion artifacts. The main difference *may* be in the red bleeds in favor of ProRes, but not at normal viewing - you'll have to zoom 3x or more to see it.

Having said that, the EU unit looks kinda sexy.