DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   syncing audio zoom H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/484589-syncing-audio-zoom-h1.html)

Luke Gates September 11th, 2010 09:41 AM

syncing audio zoom H1

Never heard of the auto gain control on the 550d until I looked for manual gain control that I was so used to adjusting with my HV-30 when using an Azden stereo mic. I'm looking for a cheap alternative and have heard about the H4n over and over. I'm on a budget, only need one channel, and don't need xlr inputs so I'm looking into the zoom H1.

The problem is I searched everywhere and didn't find anything on how it works. I know I will connect my external mic into the H1's line in. Then what? How do I sync the audio to the video, or is that done in post?

Edward Carlson September 11th, 2010 09:58 AM

The software PluralEyes or DualEyes by Singular Software will sync your H1 recording with the audio from your built-in mic. PluralEyes works with Vegas, Premiere Pro, and FCP. DualEyes is a standalone app if you use another editor or don't need editor integration.

Luke Gates September 11th, 2010 11:14 AM

Ok thanks. I assumed you record the audio completely separate and sync later but I wasn't sure. Thanks much

Galen Rath September 11th, 2010 12:01 PM

Luke, buy software as soon as you can to do this, but a manual way in post is to roughly match the waveform of the H4n soundtrack to the waveform of the T2i soundtrack visually, and, with headphones on, move the H4n soundtrack back and forth 1 frame at a time until all evidence of an echo disappears when playing both soundtracks. Then replace the T2i soundtrack with the H4n soundtrack.

Don Rumsey September 11th, 2010 08:55 PM

I was just wondering about Plural Eyes. Is there a version for CS5 PrePro?

Edward Carlson September 11th, 2010 09:14 PM

There is, but it is PC only. The Mac version is on the way, but hasn't been released yet.

Terry Lee September 14th, 2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galen Rath (Post 1568334)
Luke, buy software as soon as you can to do this, but a manual way in post is to roughly match the waveform of the H4n soundtrack to the waveform of the T2i soundtrack visually, and, with headphones on, move the H4n soundtrack back and forth 1 frame at a time until all evidence of an echo disappears when playing both soundtracks. Then replace the T2i soundtrack with the H4n soundtrack.

Is this the Ideal method?
I am looking into getting an H4n as well and didn't quite understand how you get the recorded track synced with your video..

I'd get the PluralEyes software but if I can avoid spending about $120 bucks and just take the time to match the tracks then i'll be happy.

Edward Carlson September 14th, 2010 08:17 PM

You can of course do it the "old fashioned" way, by using a slate at the head or tail of each take. Then you just have to sync the video of the sticks closing to the spike in the audio track.

Tim Palmer-Benson February 1st, 2011 05:34 PM

Synching Zoom with Canon DSLRs Still condused!

I have Pluraleyes running with FCP 7:02 and I am still confused about synching. I import all my Canon footage using the Canon plug in for FCP which translates the footage to Apple Pro Res LT. Then I import my Zoom H4n track recorded at 48Hz and get Plural Eyes to match it up. So far, so good. As far as I know, I now have 48kHz audio both from the Canon and the Zoom. BUT is it true that this is NOT the end of the story...that in fact the sound will drift out of sync over the course of 30 minutes or so? I can't figure out from the Pluraleyes website if this little problem is taken care of in the latest version of the software. Does this problem exist with other recorders such as the Marantz PMD671 which I use to record for an hour RC Ceremony. Is the audio from a Canon 60D, 7D and update 5DMk11 true 48kHZ audio or is it 44.1kHz? The FCP property inspector says it is 48kHz?

Bruce Sharpe February 1st, 2011 07:56 PM

There are two possible reasons why the sync might drift. The first is that the clock in the camera or the audio recorder is not accurate. Cameras are usually very good, and newer audio recorders are too. We haven't tested the Marantz PMD671, so I can't tell you how good it is.

The second reason is specific to Final Cut Pro. You have to be a little careful how you set it up. It is described in detail in this blog post:

25 Hour Day: DSLR Sync Drift in Final Cut Pro

Bruce

Victor Lee February 4th, 2011 05:19 AM

I've been syncing zoom h1 audio with t2i footage for many projects, never had a problem. Still haven't tried pluraleyes so I've been syncing it by ear and visual cue on waveforms. I've just synced a 10 minute interview with a 10 minute wav file from h1 and it turned out fine, no audio drift. I think the h1 is a pretty good tool for short interviews and if you don't need xlrs during the shoot.

Valter Ognjenovic February 5th, 2011 01:06 AM

I'm sure this question was covered a million times, but since we're all here...have any of you used PluralEyes to sync tracks for a music video?

Since music videos require preparation, I know people add "clicks" or "pops" to the song so they can sync it in post, but how well would PluralEyes by itself?

Thanks!