Canon T2i is great photo cam very bad movie cam - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Poipie View Post
The first cam took 10 minutes, the second 2 minutes and the third 4 minute to get overheated. The were all in the same room if it matters.
We switch-over to the Sony EX3 (I have the EX3, EX1 and the Shoot SGblade) to continue the shoot.
The only reason to use the Canons is the wonderful picture the produce without an adapter
Looks like you have money to burn considering the cams you own. Since you like the creative look you can get with an APS-C sensor look into the camcorder sony is releasing with an APS sensor with interchangeable lenses.

If you're considering taking Charles advice, I have a few panavision's in the garage, going on a "you pick up" and they're free basis.
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #17
Major Player

I use 2 t2i's and a 7D, and in hot sun they will overheat after a few long back-to-back shots. Somewhat inconvenient. If I turn them off between shoots or even stop filming, I usually avoid the problem. A black cam in direct sunlight isn't a good idea for any camera, these are more sensitive.

I seldom use them for continuous recording, which they are lousy for anyway. I just turn them off when not needed and seldom have a problem. The little "movie" shooting I've been around is typically long periods of boredom and preparation punctuated with a few seconds or minutes of capture, then back to boredom. Not much chance to overheat if I turn of between sets.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #18
Regular Crew

There are a lot of people shooting with these cameras. I've seen a lot of very impressive shorts and whatnot on YouTube and Vimeo. If overheating is such a problem, how are they overcoming it?
Xian Messerschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Poipie View Post
I own two T2i and one 550. I was planning to do a feature movie with them, but the cams cannot handle temps around 30 - 40 degree Celsius. They shut off every time after showing the shutdown sign.
So IMO they are worthless for making movies. Great Photo Camera though.
The question is: Is this a manufacturing error from Canon or not. I think it is and Canon should be ashamed
in producing such a product and keep manufacturing it without modifications. I hope that this is not removed, but really it makes me mad to hear that nothing can be done about it.
All the stories about using icebags and other way to minimize the problem, are just a laugh.
One should get what is paid for and no more or no less. Canon is selling the cams with the movie capability, and is not telling the customer that overheating is normal for these cams.
Iam planning to open the **** cam end see if any modification is possible.
Hey brother, I'll gladly pay for s & h if you want to send it my way...

Just saying.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Vincent View Post
Hi John

I know you've got 3...and sense says you can't have 3 dodgy cams... but i've had mine since they came out and i film with it a lot. I did a lot of filming this summer...inside and outside in sunlight. I've never had it crap out on me. I've seen the buffer warning a couple of times... but i've never seen a temp warning.

It's very possible to shoot a movie on these cams... people have...i have. No special mods to keep it cool, just as it comes.

Out of curiosity, what SDHC are you using? I know some tend to give people problems. I'm using Transcend with no issues at all.

Good luck with it.

S
Sean we live in the uk i cant think the problem should worry us .
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Gates View Post
If you're considering taking Charles advice, I have a few panavision's in the garage, going on a "you pick up" and they're free basis.
I assume they don't work?
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aronson View Post
I assume they don't work?
It was a joke
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I have to correct the heatlockup story of the T2i.
It seems that a 8gb card that was used, made it all happen.
The same memorycard was constantly used and produced the overheating warning and shutdown
of all the different cameras used..
We are now shooting with class 6 and there seems to be no problems for now.
Tomorrow is the defenite test in the open with direct sunlight.
I will keep u guys posted.............................
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #24
Major Player

HAHA...wow.

Well hey, thats why we're all here...to help each other figure things out. Eventhought this discussion was borederline heated, it did come down narrow down the problem and solved it... Hopefully it stays that way...

Glad you figured it out!
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Don't like to say i told ya so...

See? It's down to the SDHC like i suggested. Bad card = bad performance, and not just buffer issues. If the cam has problems trying to write, it will heat up.... same as a PC or anything else. Stress it out and it'll break.

Glad it's all sorted.

S
Sean Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #26
Major Player

Perhaps a lesson is not to start out with a sweeping generalization. They are often wrong, as was the case here.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #27
Major Player

And on a different note: You might want to use a battery grip. Several people reported that it helps since it keeps the batteries that get hot while you shoot further away from the insides of the cam. You can get OEM grips for around 60 bucks...
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #28
Major Player

I completely understand the OP and the dissatisfaction expressed. I sought the 500D as a second video camera because i'd heard it had the same video capapbilities as the 5Dmk2.
After never seeing anything related to heat problem on the mk2 it surprised me that after 30 mim of steady shooting the light came on. In shade at about 80F. Course I manualy shut it down. Can I rely on the cam to shut itself down? My cards are Transcend 16GB. Would the larger cards have effect on the heating?
Old September 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I did some tests on T2i overheating issue with bare cam, battery grip, and external display

Canon T2i Overheat Test | L.A. Color Blog
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:57 AM   #30
Major Player

Thanks for these results Taky.

In another thread there is premis that the whole overheating thing may be originating from the type of memory card used. If you have access to different types of cards it'd be great to like do two or three timed tests to the over heating point for each card and compare the averages for each card against the averages for the other cards.

The idea is that the read write to the card is heating up the card which in turn heats the camera and triggers the heat warning.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD