Canon T2i is great photo cam very bad movie cam - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 24th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #31
Trustee

So, ah, when can I expect that camera?

;)

Any any camera can overheat - even a film camera (if you count film melting in the can anyway). For more see a retro review of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA:
DVD Review - Lawrence Of Arabia

If it's overheating in conditions that clearly don't warrant an overheating - like out of the box in a cool room - the unit is bad and Canon should replace it.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Simpson View Post
Thanks for these results Taky.

In another thread there is premis that the whole overheating thing may be originating from the type of memory card used. If you have access to different types of cards it'd be great to like do two or three timed tests to the over heating point for each card and compare the averages for each card against the averages for the other cards.

The idea is that the read write to the card is heating up the card which in turn heats the camera and triggers the heat warning.
Interesting theory. As I shot a bunch here in hell...I mean Phoenix over the summer, I probably have a "worst environment" possible and I learned a couple of things.
First, the battery grip is a must unless you can use the a/c adapter. The batteries do generate a lot of heat.
Second, keeping the camera out of sunlight and tungsten lights is a must. I used a white towel or umbrella or moved the camera away from lights as much as possible.
Third, using cold packs on the right side of the camera works. My worst shoot temp-wise was 111 deg in a parking lot for 5 hours. I saw the temp light once.

The card thing may have some merit as I used to see temp warnings all the time and sometimes indoors after 10 min with Delkin class 6 cards that have worked like a charm in my hmc150. Because they had a sale, I picked up a couple of Sandisk class 6 16gb cards and that's when the frequency of temp warnings went down a lot. then adding the ice packs, as I mentioned, I didn't see them at all indoors and only the one on a day well above most card-based camera's operating temps as stated in their specs.

So theres my 2 cents on the t2i and I will be watching my new 7D carefully! It already has Sandisk cards and the battery grip so we'll see if the icepacks are necessary.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD