Canon T2i is great photo cam very bad movie cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon T2i is great photo cam very bad movie cam

I own two T2i and one 550. I was planning to do a feature movie with them, but the cams cannot handle temps around 30 - 40 degree Celsius. They shut off every time after showing the shutdown sign.
So IMO they are worthless for making movies. Great Photo Camera though.
The question is: Is this a manufacturing error from Canon or not. I think it is and Canon should be ashamed
in producing such a product and keep manufacturing it without modifications. I hope that this is not removed, but really it makes me mad to hear that nothing can be done about it.
All the stories about using icebags and other way to minimize the problem, are just a laugh.
One should get what is paid for and no more or no less. Canon is selling the cams with the movie capability, and is not telling the customer that overheating is normal for these cams.
Iam planning to open the **** cam end see if any modification is possible.
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Poipie View Post
I own two T2i and one 550. I was planning to do a feature movie with them, but the cams cannot handle temps around 30 - 40 degree Celsius. They shut off every time after showing the shutdown sign.
The cameras handle those temps just fine. I live in Florida, which is warmer than the area you live in. I have not had any trouble at all like you speak of when filmmaking. I have gotten the overheat sensor when filming at 80p for longer periods. But that doesn't really cause me any problems.

Quote:
Worthless? So get rid of them, and get something that will work. I certainly wouldn't bother trying to make movies with worthless gear.

Quote:
The question is: Is this a manufacturing error from Canon or not. I think it is and Canon should be ashamedin producing such a product and keep manufacturing it without modifications. I hope that this is not removed, but really it makes me mad to hear that nothing can be done about it.
No, it is not a manufacturing error. It is a product of trying to put video into a product not designed to handle it. People keep clamoring for it, and saying they will work around the problem. Clearly, this is not viable for you, so you likely need to go buy a proper video camera with an APS-C sized sensor in it. You've apparently purchased a product not suited to your needs.

I would not purchase a Ferrari and then complain that is is poor on muddy roads. So why purchase a stills camera and complain that it doesn't work like a $50k digital cinema camera? It wasn't designed to.

Quote:
All the stories about using icebags and other way to minimize the problem, are just a laugh.
Do people have a laugh at the RED when it has the same issues, and the problem is solved the same way? How's this for a laugh. The heat vents on the RED are on the BOTTOM of the camera and not the top. Big laugh there. Camera's get hot. Film, Digital, you name it. Do what is required. Some of the EX1s got so hot you could barely touch the top of them. And they don't have a heat sensor warning like the Canon's do. That was very thoughtful of Canon.

Quote:
One should get what is paid for and no more or no less. Canon is selling the cams with the movie capability, and is not telling the customer that overheating is normal for these cams.
Thousands of owners shoot on these cameras without incident or problem. So why do you think you are having a problem?

Quote:
Awesome. Let us know how that works out.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It is a bad movie cam, in fact it's the cheapest one in the market. You should look into Panavision or Arri those are the best.
Charles Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I had way too much fun reading this thread.
David Ells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

bring an umbrella or a hats over your camera from direct sunlight.
Man Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I recommend shooting all of your films in a meat locker.
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hurley View Post
It is a bad movie cam, in fact it's the cheapest one in the market. You should look into Panavision or Arri those are the best.
Lol!! Wrong forum dude.
Joseph Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
The question is: Is this a manufacturing error from Canon or not. I think it is and Canon should be ashamed
in producing such a product and keep manufacturing it without modifications. I hope that this is not removed, but really it makes me mad to hear that nothing can be done about it.
Dude, change your name and leave the country.
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Even if I make a movie about how the cams are behaving, all you guys who are "satisfied" with the camera will still think nothing is wrong. It is not that I own one cam, I have 3. Statistically I cannot be that unlucky.
Yesterday we start shooting in-house with temp of 30 degrees Celsius. The first cam took 10 minutes, the second 2 minutes and the third 4 minute to get overheated. The were all in the same room if it matters.
We switch-over to the Sony EX3 (I have the EX3, EX1 and the Shoot SGblade) to continue the shoot.
The only reason to use the Canons is the wonderful picture the produce without an adapter and the fact that they are so small. I was planning an expedition to the inlands, but I think I have to reconsider the weight to carry in my backpack.
I will open up on of the camera's and see if I can add some heat sinks to the body; who knows one of you might thank me for it someday.
I see that Iam just a caller in the woods and all you guys are very satisfied, so iam waisting my time writing my complains here; good luck to you all.
Anyway, Canon shoot pay all you guys who don't have any problems with overheating; they should love you for saying that and that is worth a lot of money these days....................
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Remember the T2i is a stills camera first and foremost. The design of the body isn't very good for video and we all know that already. Putting that much data and processing through a small camera is of course going to have heat issues in hot environments you want them to work in.

Luckily here in the UK we rarely get temperatures above 30c so I've not had to worry about over heating. I've used the camera well past an hour in one go yet never saw any warning messages.

These cameras are extremely cheap and create probably the best value for money out of any camera in terms of picture quality. That said as its so cheap you have to realise there will be sacrifices in this case its the body design, lack of pro audio etc.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Actually, I think it is a legitimate issue with the camera. I have the 5D and the T2i, and certainly, the T2i goes to warning on occasion, but in a direct sunlight situation on a hot day, I even had my 5D go into a warning.

I have never had the the T2i shut down on me, and I wonder what others experience when they just keep shooting, with the warning on screen. Anyone ?
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi. Having your t2is shutting down so quickly seems abnormal. I had only 1 overheat warning while shooting in the sun on a very hot day this last summer. I finished what I was shooting and then just gave the camera a rest. 30 degrees C (that's 86 degrees F) shouldn't pose much of a problem if any at all, at least in my limited experience. If you bought those 3 cameras together then I would be pretty concerned and send them in to Canon while under warranty. Also if I had the budget for THREE t2is, I would probably just "settle" for two 7Ds which can handle the heat far better not to mention the rain as well.

Your frustration has produced a kinda funny thread, so you shouldn't take the joking around too seriously.

I sincerely hope you get this issue worked out, and I doubt I'd be laughing if my t2i was overheating in 2 minutes at 30 degrees C. :/

(off topic newbee question. can anyone tell me how to get smilies showing? i can't find any smilies.)
Tara Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Major Player

How long are you running the camera...? I've run it for atleast 24 minutes and have had very little heating...

I understand what you are saying and can understand your frusteration...i'd be mad too after throwing money into something that can't function properly. Perhaps you should try to call Canon and tell them your camera is excessively over heating and you think its a problem..See if they'll send you a new one and then test it out..see if it does the same thing..

thats what I'd do anyway...
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #14
Regular Crew

In reply to T2i issues..

Hi John

I know you've got 3...and sense says you can't have 3 dodgy cams... but i've had mine since they came out and i film with it a lot. I did a lot of filming this summer...inside and outside in sunlight. I've never had it crap out on me. I've seen the buffer warning a couple of times... but i've never seen a temp warning.

It's very possible to shoot a movie on these cams... people have...i have. No special mods to keep it cool, just as it comes.

Out of curiosity, what SDHC are you using? I know some tend to give people problems. I'm using Transcend with no issues at all.

Good luck with it.

S
Sean Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #15
Major Player

Anyone, does the use of an external monitor on a T2i lower the heat buildup?
Galen Rath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD