3 Wide Zoom lenses for Short Film on a 7D (Wow! My 100th message!) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #16
Major Player

IS is not noticeable at wider angles - in fact you are better without it below 35mm thats why the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L has no IS and probably never will.
Some of the wider ranges such as 24-70 should have IS though, as they are also heavy lenses.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Major Player

What you said is mostly true for use of a 16 - 35 mm zoom on a full frame but not for crop bodies. There is a very good reason that the EF-S 17 -55 has IS for a crop body. Its range is moderately wide (27 mm equiv field of view) to moderately telephoto (88 mm equiv field of view) on a crop body.

The crop body equivalent to the EF 16 - 35 L is the EF-S 10 - 20 mm (26 mm equiv field of view to 32 equiv field of view), which does not have IS.

Search the forums and you will see that the EF-S 17 - 55 IS is well regarded optically, and the I.S. is very important for this zoom on a crop body (like the 7D).

On a crop body, the EF-S 10 - 20 mm would be the equivalent of a wide-angle zoom.

Interestingly, Nikon just came out with a high-end 16 - 35 wide angle zoom for their full-frame sensor bodies that has V.R. (equiv of I.S.). It is over $1,000 street price, and supposedly excellent.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #18
Regular Crew

How is the Canon 24-70 compared to the 16-35?
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #19
Major Player

This is from experience with stills, not video:

I used to own the EF 24-70 mm F/2.8 L. Excellent optical quality, and L grade build quality. I traded mine it because it was bulky and heavy. The lens hood could be used for a lamp shade in your house. There is no I.S. Optically it is perhaps better than the EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, but they cover different ranges, so I'm not sure why you would be comparing them. I also used to own, but also traded in, the EF 17-40 f/4.0L, which was slower (f/4.0) but a good wide angle for full-frame bodies.

There are several web sites that review Canon EF and EF-S lenses from a still photography perspective.
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #20
Major Player

If a person needs IS for the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - even on the 7D, then you need a better shoulder rig or maybe do some pushups! I used this lens for one weekend and it never occured to me that it should have IS. My video was rock steady hand held without it with a zacuto rig.

Its absurd to disregard lenses unless they have IS ... and many shooters are doing just that through reading forums without actually trying out the lens for a while. I use the EF-S 17 - 55 myself and could easily forego the IS at say 24mm which is my normal angle. Its good to have but not essential for me - unless I'm in a really strong wind maybe.
Do I need IS on the 70-200 2.8 - absolutely - its a very heavy lens hand-held. In fact I almost always put mine on the tripod.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Stability can be important - even with a wide - when the subject is really close to the lens. For a typical, wide view, it doesn't matter. When doing extreme, forced perspective it can.

Just last week I shot a photo with a 21mm lens on a 5D2 - and I used a tripod. The lens was squeezed right up against the subject, and any little camera movement made a big difference in the composition. By the same token, when shooting landscapes and architecture with that lens, handheld without IS is just fine, even at relatively slow shutter speeds.

It's not the angle of the lens, it's how big things look in the frame that determines the stability you need.
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:11 AM   #22
Major Player

The 16-35 f/2.8L II is a great lens, but it's forte is for use as a wide zoom on a full-frame body. The functional equivalent on a crop body is the EF-S 10-22.

The EF 24-70 f/2.8L and EF 24-105 f/4.0L IS are great lenses that cover moderate wide to modest telephoto on a full-frame body. One is faster and the other has more range and has IS. The functional equivalent on a crop body is the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

The original poster was mixing "apples and oranges" from an effective field of view perspective.

The 16-35 f/2.8L II has an oddball filter size. On a full-frame body, using a step-down ring to 77mm is not a good solution. The other L and EF-S lenses I have mentioned use the 77mm filter size.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM   #23
Major Player

I've got it! (Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM)

Hey I just wanted to tell you guys my lens finally got home. I tested it out and it is 'superb'.
I do love it, it feels so great on the camera. I mean, the weight does kind of balances it really well. Better and the 50mm and the 70-200mm. At least IMO.

I did get the 82mm 'slim' UV filter from B+W. It fits very nicely. But you just can't use the Canon lens cover.

I found this two amazing videos in Vimeo about filming with a 7D and this lens. Just amazing, specially the first one. The second one is good too, but the first one is 'superb'. ^_^

Check'em out!

7D Cinematography

Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD