Picture Styles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Picture Styles

After some research I have come to the conclusion that using the neutral profile with sharpness set to 1, contrast set to -3, saturation set -2 and color tone set to 0 is best for when color correction will be applied in post. Can any one confirm this?

Also what are some good presets for when there won't be CC? How about Standard for non-people shots and Portrait Studio for shots with people?
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Set Sharpness to 0. Never apply sharpening in-camera on a DSLR, since it's already unnaturally sharp because it only samples every 4thish pixel, anyway. Adding sharpening makes moire patterns worse, and it actually drops the usable resolution, especially if you're delivering in 1080p or 2K.

Your contrast seems good. I usually shoot at -4 so I can roll off the shadows and highlights with curves in Color, but at that point there's not much usable information above 90% and below 10%. So -2 or -3 is great for typical shooting.

Adjust your saturation based on what you're shooting. If you're in a natural environment without intensely saturated objects, bump it up a tiny bit so it'll record more color data for you to grade, but pull it down if you're dealing with any intensely saturated objects. This sensor (or the encoder) does some nasty things with oversaturated blue, especially in the highlights. But if your contrast is more towards 0, you probably won't see that crap, anyway.
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Contributor

I have sharpness on the 5D up one click from the bottom. Contrast all the way at the bottom. Saturation halfway between bottom and zero, and color at zero. This is what I used on the 7D as well. I found that sharpness all the way at the bottom is a little soft. At the 1 position, there's no edge enhancement that I can see.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD