DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Problem converting h264 files in FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/485043-problem-converting-h264-files-fcp.html)

Phil Hanna September 21st, 2010 02:44 PM

Problem converting h264 files in FCP

I have just completed shooting a ton of stuff on the 7D and now ready to edit. I go to FCP and choose Log and Transfer. The window comes up. When I select the folder where all of my clips are located, I get an error message telling me Contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. I swear I have successfully done this before. Any help in getting this worked out is greatly appreciated as I need to get this show assembled.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Jon Braeley September 21st, 2010 04:04 PM

Do you have Canons EOS movie plug-in for FCP installed? Otherwise, you will not be able to log and transfer H.264 7D files.
However I suggest my workflow which is to convert the 7D files to ProRes before you get to FCP - I use compressor but you can use mpeg streamclip as well.

At any rate you will have to convert the 7D files - you cannot use H.264 to edit with.

Phil Hanna September 21st, 2010 06:46 PM

Canon Plug in is installed

Yep, the plug in is installed. That is what is confusing about this.

Cole McDonald September 21st, 2010 08:18 PM

Is that canon 264 plugin out and about for regular other non-new canon owning folks (still have my XL1s - that's not relevant to this convo though)? I'd like to be able to offer editing to folks who are shooting on the 5D or 7D without having to add to my workflow as heavily.

Don Hardy September 22nd, 2010 11:06 AM

FCP Plugin

Here's a link to the plugin:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 7D

It works great, just make sure to log and transfer straight from your CF cards, or copy both folders from your CF to your media drive. The plugin needs the DCIM and MISC folders in order to find your media.

Here's a good tutorial too: ProVideo Coalition.com: the EDITBLOG on PVC by Scott Simmons

Cole McDonald September 22nd, 2010 11:42 AM

Excellent, thank you!

Phil Hanna September 23rd, 2010 10:16 AM

You nailed it Don

I have only done this on one other occasion, so as soon as I saw "from the card" I new what I had done. I transfered everything from the card to a remote drive, then tried to import the clips from that drive through log and transfer. Thanks for clearing up the issue.

Phil

Daniel Epstein September 23rd, 2010 01:47 PM

Hey Guys,
I am trying to figure out the best way to use the Canon Log and transfer plug in and decided a disk image of the card using Apple Disk Utility was worth a try. When you open the disk image FCP seems to find it well. Takes a longer time to transfer but worth a try. Drag Drop to a Folder while holding the option key seems easier
Batch digitizing from Mpeg Streamclip works for files which don't have the card structure. I haven't decided which way is better

Jon Braeley September 24th, 2010 06:26 AM

I find the best way is to batch process to ProRes - as I need to offload the files as I shoot over a long period. I convert them on location so I have a second back-up.

But there are manyways to do this - you can use Compressor and also Final Cut with media manager.

Alf Hanna January 6th, 2011 01:09 AM

Stuck trying to use the Plug in

I, like some of you on here, have installed the plug in but cannot get the files to come up in Log and T. It sees the folders, but does not import the files. It gives me the usual ""DCIM" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media." error message that someone earlier posted on. What is going on? I can drag and drop files in using File>Import Files, but that is not converting to Pro Res, is it? Does anyone have a clue about why this is not working?

Interestingly enough, Compressor does the job just fine, but it is a long running process...sigh...

Also, is there an Uninstall ability? I can't seem to find a way to remove the plug in, once installed.

Panasonic AVCHD import works fine. Could there be some incompatibility here?

FCP 7.0.3 - OS 10.6.5 - 10GB RAM

Erik Andersen January 6th, 2011 04:55 PM

Alf, either the media in the folder is not from a compatible Canon camera, or you've changed the folder structure in some way. Starting with the compact flash straight out of the camera, you need to copy the DCIM folder and its entire contents to your hard drive. Then within the E1 plugin, add the DCIM folder (or its parent folder) and the plugin will find the files.

If this doesn't work, try adding the DCIM folder of a CF card with some footage on it (in a card reader). If that doesn't work, there may be something wrong with the installation.

Daniel Epstein January 6th, 2011 06:23 PM

Alf,
FCP Log and Transfer needs to see the EOS_Digital folder that comes up when you insert the card into a reader on a computer otherwise it doesn't see the media properly. You can do this when you copy the card or you can add the DCIM Folder to s properly configured folder.

Alf Hanna January 6th, 2011 11:50 PM

L&T with 7D ... still not working

thanks guys, but this seems like something that is a bug in my setup with this software. I know how to do L&T, do it with Panasonic AVCHD all the time, but since buying a 7D I cannot L&T with FCP. I've tried reading directly off a freshly formatted and shot to card, copied the card to HD ,etc. and it does not work. I cannot seem to 'uninstall' my Canon utilities to try reinistalling. It works to run this crap through Compressor, but that doesn't allow a proper L&T which FCP fanatics tell me is critical to making quality movies (tongue planted firmly in cheek). Anyone from Canon out there got a clue? if you are embarrassed just email me directly with uninstall protocals. Your secret is safe with me. If not, I'll just go back to Sony Vegas and do things fast and easy...which is what I like anyway. FCP is just a pig for average people like me. Too much media management..(sigh)..

Alf - with more TBs of hard drives than I ever thought possible, and having to micro manage every one of them with FCP. Why oh why is a simple move of files ever good enough? (and don't tell me that the genius' of Apple know best...)