Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 1st, 2010, 02:23 AM   #16
Major Player

The hoodman loupe was no good for me as it had no magnetic fixing so does this one John C
Also does it have eyesight correction as i use reading glasses but still nothing is 100% in focus closer than around 12" .It would be great if it has those options and uk availability.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:35 PM   #17
Major Player

I'm kind of ambivalent about the thing now.

It works as advertised, but the magnet is kind of weak. It doesn't take much to knock it off.

The felt is fraying and chipping off the edges already and some of the paint has worn off the metal frame.

You can wear the thing around the neck, but just make sure not to knock loose the rubber eye piece. It is very easy to lose that way.

Seventy bucks is very steep for this thing. In retrospect, I should have modified a slide viewer or gone the DIY route.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:11 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I am still very pleased with the loupe from ebay(Hong Kong/Southern China seller) and the clip on protective class I stick the frame on.
The LCD viewer is well made, no felt inside only matte surface, and also no painted metal part. Its indeed an LCDVF clone, with identical look.
The clip on screen protector GGS III Glass LCD Screen Protector O9F For Canon 550D - eBay (item 320574212285 end time Oct-09-10 23:57:26 PDT) is also high quality, and it makes mounting the LCDVF an non-issue affacting T2i, because the glue doesn't touch the T2i surface and it created a 3mm gap between the screen and glass, making the magnet further from the T2i body.
My LCDVF (the clone) has pretty strong magnet, and it comes with a nice padded pouch, which I now use for lenses, and a spare metal frame which I can put on another cam, and straps and lens cloth are in the box too.
All in all, it is a lot of stuff in this $59 package. With less than $1/hr wage in southern China, $59 can indeed buy lots of material and three days of labor. That's why its probably better to order from HK/China at this low price than from a US seller.
Meike LCD VF-100 is the one I bought from ebay.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
I'm kind of ambivalent about the thing now.

It works as advertised, but the magnet is kind of weak. It doesn't take much to knock it off.
I forgot to update this thread. The eBay seller did send me a replacement unit, and it works as advertised. With 4 magnets on the thing, the unit is now rock solid.

It's too bad, I'm not going to put this to use this now, since I just just upgraded to the 5D. I will put this thing up on the classifieds section shortly. [Basically new with 2 unused metal frames, an extra cup and an extra strap.]

On a side note, this new product intriques me:

A shader/hood/box.. that doesn't require it to be pressed into the eye.

Monitor X | Jag35.com
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #20
Regular Crew

L-Finder

If you have a 60D, you have a new option. The L-Finder. It consists of a Hoodman Hoodloupe 3.0 with a Hoodman LCD neoprene strap. Cost $75 for the Hoodloupe from Neal Photo in Montana and $10 for the Strap from Amazon. Total cost $85.

This works well. Other loupes would be too heavy for the 60D LCD in that it would swivel on its own.
Attached Thumbnails
Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-img_9976.jpg   Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-img_9979.jpg  

Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-img_9980.jpg  
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Millward View Post
Im not sure really. There is no diopter correction, although it does say usable from -4 to +1

Whats your prescription?

James
I bought this loupe. I need readers, about 2.25 diopter, and I have to wear them using this loupe. With a small pair of lenses, you can easily wear them to use the loupe.

I am impressed by this product to. I bought the one for the 5D, but it came with two metal frames with stickem on it, and I was able to adapt the second one for my Canon T2i
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #22
New Boot

I was wondering... since its using magnets as fixation, does this in any way influence the electronics inside the camera?
Xin Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:58 PM   #23
Major Player

I've been waiting for a comment on Xin Jin's post but no luck so far so I'll bump it because I'm also curious and looking for a 60D loupe ...p12, dot pt 3 of the manual says "Never leave the camera near anything having a strong magnetic field such as a magnet... ?
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD