Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...

Not sure if this has been posted before. I am also unsure if I am allowed to link to an Ebay auction. im guessing not so I will say go to ebay (UK) and type in LCD viewfinder.

Its one of the top ones. Approx 40 quid buy it now.

I took a chance on it and it arrived this morning. I have to say I am over the moon with it.

If you are just starting out, and are working on no budget its great.

Well made, good magnification, strong magnetic attatchment, very large eye cup too.

The other nice thing about it is it comes with a very nice bag, lanyard, and cleaning cloth!

Its not going to suit the pro users. Theres also no Diopter correction, but for the money I am very pleased. Will see what its like in the real world and report back.

NOTE:, dont do what I did (which was, rip open the back with a most excitied look on my face, quickly remove the sticky backs, shove it on the camera, clip the loupe on and start running round like an idiot!). It comes with instructions and you are meant to leave the frame in place with a weight on it for 15 mins while the cam is slightly warm!.

James
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Tourist

Looks interesting.

Do you think it can be used by someone who wears glasses?
Peter Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Im not sure really. There is no diopter correction, although it does say usable from -4 to +1

Whats your prescription?

James
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

According to some reviews, the LCDVF knockoff--Meike VF-100, should be good for most users wearing glasses. Its on US ebay for $58.9 shipped.
Another item I would highly recommend getting with the LCD viewfinder is the "GGS III Glass LCD Screen Protector O9F For Canon 550D" for UD$13.9 on ebay as well. It clips on 550D and makes viewfinder see the full screen (instead of 1mm on each side cropping with 7D/5D models) and more importantly, you will tape the metal LCD viewfinder's frame onto the glass protector rather than directly onto T2i's screen. The adhesive on the frame will come loose sooner or later, and some day you may want to sell the camera, the glass protector keeps your 550D in its original conditions.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Major Player

I bought a glass screen from CHINA that slips into the viewfinder per a suggestion elsewhere and it works well. I bought the HOODMAN viewfinder that has diopter adjustment and the eyecup without magnifcation. Glued the viewinder to the glass screen with superglue, works well, diopter adjustment is a surefire way of having no issues. But I find that I don't get a clear view of the screen using glasses even with diopter adjustment, the edges of the view get all distorted with my eyeglasses on, not as pleasant as viewing with my eyeglasses off, when evertyhing is clear bottom to top, sid to side, but then I can't see the real world and my camera knobs, when I'm not looking through the viewfinder, so I am not totally happy with the solution yet.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Millward View Post
I took a chance on it and it arrived this morning. I have to say I am over the moon with it.

James
Thanks for the information! The price is palatable for me.

One question... I'm looked at a video about the original LCDVF....

Are they any issues with the metal frame obscuring the sensors on the T2i's LCD in photo mode?

Last edited by John C. Chu; September 25th, 2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Correction.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah it does seem to be an LCDVF knock off, but for the no budget filmaker it really us great.

It doesnt seem to affect the sensors at all. The metal frame that sticks on has a 'bottom' edge that is slightly wider than the 'top' edge. Keep this wider edge at the bottom of the screen where it says canon.

Some of the sensor gets covered, but it doesnt seem to affect the function.

And yes you do get 1mm covered at either side of the screen. I might look into the option Lee spoke about.

James
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah, saw this cheap alternative to the LCDVF. In fact, these guys seem to have lifted the product description from the lcdvf site. It's a tempting prospect to save £50 or so, but looks a little bit suspicious to me. The GLIDETRACK site has a warning about them as follows...

"Notice!
Please be aware that there are some fake LCD viewfinder products out there similar to our LCDVFs but the optics and construction used in these products is far inferior of the original!
The original LCDVFs use achromatic doublet lenses instead of a simple condenser lens to achieve uncompromised image quality.
Glidetrack only sells the genuine article.

Not sure if that means much to anyone else (doesn't to me) but for a bit of extra cash - i think I might play it safe with the original. Any thoughts on that?
John Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

There are a few articles, ie, Evil Little LCDVF Twin vs LCDVF CheesyCam comparing the clone with the original, and the authors seem to have no qualms about getting the clone. For $120 saving it might worth a try.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Well, you guys convinced me. I just ordered one of these on eBay from a Houston, TX shipper. Keyword search: Canon T2i LCDVF Z-Finder. Total is $69.99 shipped.

Can't wait to get it. Should be a lot of fun! It makes it easy to stomach, compared to the more high priced options.

I do wear glasses, but I'm hoping I can press it against my glasses with no issues.
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

Been agonising over this a bit. Just gone for the authentic LCDVF from GLIDETRACK. thought I'd record my thought process for what it's worth.

So, from everything i've read ppl are gernerally happy with the ebay knock-offs and it would have saved me £60. But, the overiding factor was that i was reluctant to put magnets anywhere near my kit in the first place, and I trust the copy-cats even less than the original. Also, resale value for original stuff is always higher.

Just my thoughts. Sometimes we go for the knock-offs, sometimes for the originals though right? I've got knock-off batteries and other kit. Went for the real thing this time though. Afterall, we're talking about image focus... and that's quite important.

xx
John Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Major Player

Thought I'd share pictures of the Capa V-Finder I got off ebay for Canon T2i/EOS 550D.

Even though its a fraction of the cost of other solutions... its still an expensive piece of plastic for 70 bucks [If only Fisher Price made LCD viewfinders...]

Fast shipping though.
Attached Thumbnails
Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-capa1.jpg   Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-finder.jpg  

Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-loupe.jpg   Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-rubbereyepiece.jpg  

Old September 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hmmm.... How much magnification? How long did you wait to get it? And does it actually fit the T2i and not cropping the viewfinder screen?
Don Rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rumsey View Post
Hmmm.... How much magnification? How long did you wait to get it? And does it actually fit the T2i and not cropping the viewfinder screen?
I bought it on Sunday..and got it today. [4 days total]--it was shipped via USPS.

I bought version for the T2i specifically. 3:2 ratio I believe. I have no idea of magnification, .but I can see the picture without cropping. Too bad there is pin cushion distortion, I'm not a fan of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-hood1.jpg   Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-frame.jpg  

Low cost viewfinder/Loupe! Just got one Heads up...-mounted.jpg  
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD