DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Can you think of ANY used and manual lens under 22mm, under 2.2 and under $220?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/485304-can-you-think-any-used-manual-lens-under-22mm-under-2-2-under-220-a.html)

Lee Ying September 26th, 2010 06:52 AM

Can you think of ANY used and manual lens under 22mm, under 2.2 and under $220??

Well the title says it all. For T2i/550D, the cheap and wide angle lens seems impossible to find. You would think that with digital photography and the need for autofocus these obsolete manual lenses would be at a big discount. So far I have no luck finding any. Are there suggestions as to where to look?

Richard D. George September 26th, 2010 08:23 AM

Perhaps part of the problem is that new, digital crop bodies have a different effective field of view than full-frame. Full frame is the equivalent of 35mm still film cameras. What was considered "wide angle" in those days, for a 35 mm still film camera, is not really what you need for "wide angle" on a crop body camera.

Thus, the dearth of used, inexpensive, manual lenses shorter than 20mm.

Best of luck - I know it can be frustrating.

Mark Von Lanken September 26th, 2010 09:34 AM

Hi Lee,

I don't know of any lenses at ANY price that are wider than 22mm and faster than 2.2. If you find one, please...please let me know. You can find lenses in that focal range, but I have not seen one faster than 2.8.

The closest lens I know of is the Nikon 24mm 2.0. It runs bewteen $250-350, but I have heard it is very soft and that the Nikon 24mm 2.8 is a much better lens.

Lee Ying September 26th, 2010 11:08 AM

Mark, you are right, there doesn't seem to be wide (less than 22mm) and fast (less than f2.2) prime lenses. I guess I will have to settle for something more than $300, like a Canon 28mm f1.8 and a Canon 10-22mm.

Richard D. George September 26th, 2010 11:29 AM

I have the Canon EF-S 10-22. It is fully "wide angle" on a crop body and is optically pretty good, and has a "pro" filter size (77 mm), but build-quality is so-so and you have to buy the lens hood separately (Don't use it without a lens hood). It is not fast, and therefore problematic if the light is too low.

My son has the EF-S 15-85 IS for his T2i. The wide end (15mm) is somewhat wide (24 mm equivalent field of view), and this lens has surprisingly good reviews, and has IS, but it does not fit in your budget, and is not fast.

Just to confirm - The 28mm is not "wide angle" (45 mm equivalent field of view) on a crop-body - it is "normal" so you would be considering buying it for "normal" view low-light plus the 10-22 for fully wide angle, right?

Again, I am sorry for your frustration.

Chris M. Watson September 26th, 2010 01:45 PM

The closest lens that fits your criteria would be the Mir 47. It's 20mm and has a max aperture of 2.5. Don't know how much they run these days but I think you can get a copy for $200. However, I think this will have to one of those places where you're better off getting a digital lens to fill that hole. Best of luck!

Lee Ying September 26th, 2010 02:33 PM

Thanks Chris. Yes, the MIR 47 K (20mm f2.5) seems to fit the bill the closest, its on ebay for about $210. I am not sure how the mount is going to work and its optics. Anyone had experience with those MIR lenses?

Andrew Stone September 26th, 2010 02:38 PM

Lee, you live in Altanta, right? Crack open the Yellow Pages and phone around to pro camera shops and even regular camera shops. Almost all retail camera stores have LOADS of manual lenses for sale for cheap, cheap prices. Don't just use the internet. Pick up the phone and make some local calls.

I have found incredible deals locally in at least half a dozen shops without trying very hard at all.

Brett Culp September 26th, 2010 03:00 PM

I love my Sigma 20mm f1.8. It doesn't meet your price criteria, but it's great in low-light environments where you need to get close to the subject, like a tight dance floor.

Lee Ying September 27th, 2010 09:13 AM

Sigma 20mm f1.8 looks very promising. Its over $220, but it fits my needs perfectly.
Thank you Andrew for the great suggestion. I shall look around pro-camera shops and see if they have some wide manual lenses lying around.

Mark Von Lanken September 27th, 2010 02:32 PM

Hi Brett,

Thanks for posting about the Sigma 20mm 1.8. I didn't know about that lens.

Lee,

There is a large manual focus shop lens shop in the Atlanta area. Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

Terry Lee September 27th, 2010 02:57 PM

is the Sigma 20mm ASP-C?

Mark Von Lanken September 28th, 2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Ying (Post 1573069)
Mark, you are right, there doesn't seem to be wide (less than 22mm) and fast (less than f2.2) prime lenses. I guess I will have to settle for something more than $300, like a Canon 28mm f1.8 and a Canon 10-22mm.

Hi Lee,

I don't have the Canon 28mm 1.8, but one of my shooters does. I used it on a shoot and really liked it. I have a 24mm and 28mm but they are both 2.8. His 28mm 1.8 really worked well for the reception. Here is a clip with some footage from the Canon 28mm 1.8. The last shot starts around :55 and that was taken with the Canon 28mm 1.8.

Kin Lau September 28th, 2010 12:04 PM

Affordable fast wide manual focus lenses simply don't exist.

A Sigma 20/1.8 with a broken AF motor would be your best best.

David W. Jones September 28th, 2010 02:52 PM

I have an extensive set of manual focus Zeiss primes from 300mm down to 18mm, as well as the Zenitar 16/2.8
When I want to go WIDE I reach for my Tokina 11-16mm. It's really a great little lens for the money.

All the Best!