60D exposure problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 29th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Major Player

60D exposure problem

I just got my 60D yesterday, so this could totally be user error. I have been shooting with the T2i for a few months and have not experienced this problem and I now realize the 60D has many more options in the menu, so I am hoping it is just something I have overlooked.

Here is the problem. When I use the kit lens, the exposure meter looks pretty accurate. When I use a manual focus lens which has a physical aperature ring, the exposure meter is way off. I have tried several different manual focus lenses, the very same ones that work great with the T2i, and the meter is way off.

In one test I did, the kit lens at f/5.0 showed the exposure meter at one mark below middle and a manual focus lens at f/5.0 showed the meter at -3. The exposure of both lenses looked very similar at f/5.0, but why is the metering way off. Any suggestions?
Old September 30th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Mark,

Does it seem to be the same problem as this?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...till-mode.html
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the reply. We were down in Texas over the weekend and shot some more with the 60D. Yes, it looks like it's experiencing the same problem as you described with the T2i. It's weird because I have never experienced this problem with the T2i.

So after hours of shooting, both still and video I have a good feel for how to compensate for the meter being inaccurate, but should it really repond this way?
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Mark,

It depends on what mode you're in, if you're using Live View and if you're using auto or manual iso. In my experience video is always wysiwyg when using the LCD in movie mode. Its only when shooting stills and only when certain settings are used with manual aperture lenses. For example, stills with TV mode, Live Live and manual iso results in an image that is over-exposed compared to what the meter says. But change the iso to auto and the exposure is correct. Or turn off Live View and the exposure is correct, even with the manual iso setting. What modes and settings do you see the over-exposure?
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Joel,

What does "wysiwyg" mean?

I don't shoot many stills with the 60D and when I do, it's not professionally, so I just use the kit lens that has auto focus. When I have shot still, I use the viewfinder.

I always use the exposure meter on the T2i with manual focus lenses with no problems. It was when I put manual focus lenses on the 60D that the exposure meter problem started.
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Trustee

Mark asked:

"What does "wysiwyg" mean?"

Means, --What you see is what you get--

Mark, the problem you've noted is something I've seen noted with the 7D also. If I were using non Canon dedicated lenses (I did use a prime Nikkor AI-S with the T1i but sold it with that camera so did not even try to use it on the 7D), as was pointed out with video there is no problem but for stills I would use a separate light meter.

My solution, though, has been to use only Canon EF/EF-S lenses. Keeps things simpler all the way around, I can use any mode on the camera with any lens I carry.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for solving that puzzle. Of course I have heard that phrase, but never the letters. ;-)

I have a bunch of vintage manual focus lenses, which I like much better than Canon non L glass, so if there is not a solution or a feature I have overlooked, I guess I at least know how much to underexpose...that is according to the exposure meter. It's just odd that I did not experience this with the T2i. Thanks for your input.
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi Joel,

What does "wysiwyg" mean?
Ack - sorry. "What you see is what you get."
Quote:
I don't shoot many stills with the 60D and when I do, it's not professionally, so I just use the kit lens that has auto focus. When I have shot still, I use the viewfinder.
I always use the exposure meter on the T2i with manual focus lenses with no problems. It was when I put manual focus lenses on the 60D that the exposure meter problem started.
Maybe a side-by-side test to see if they are different that way?
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Joel,

Thanks for answering the wysiwyg thing. ;-)

When I did the two camera interview shoot last weekend I was able to test the cameras side by side and yes, according to the meter on the 60D I have to shoot about 2.5-3 steps under to get the same exposure on the T2i at middle on the exposure meter.
Old October 8th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Did you take a look at the histogram on the 60D?
Rich Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Major Player

Yes, the Histogram looks much more accurate. The problem is the Histogram doesn't diplay while the camera is recording and the lighting frequently changes while I am shooting. At least the exposure meter works while recording.

The LCD isn't too bad on it's brightness accuracy, but when shooting outside it gets blown out pretty bad. I'm just used to shooting with zebras and I rely on tools to help me with getting proper exposure.

Thanks for the idea and keep them coming.
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
At least the exposure meter works while recording.
Hmm... I don't see any way to get any kind of exposure (on my 60D) during recording, but I only have Canon and Sigma EOS lenses. How are you managing to see the exposure meter during recording?

If I am doing some kind of camera movement, I try to set exposure for the brightest shot and then leave the exposure settings alone while recording - I feel good about keeping things in focus (-: Of course, I understand you are shooting weddings and may not have the same luxury to take your time getting the shot setup before hitting the record button.

Last edited by Rich Ryan; October 8th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Rich Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #13
Major Player

Mark, just to clarify, the inaccurate metering occurs BOTH when taking stills and video?
Aaron Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ryan View Post
Hmm... I don't see any way to get any kind of exposure (on my 60D) during recording, but I only have Canon and Sigma EOS lenses. How are you managing to see the exposure meter during recording?...
Hi Rich,

On the 60D press the button right below the white *. Well I also guess it depends on how you setup the camera in the menu. On the first menu under AF and metering butt. for...you will find about 10 different wasy to configure the metering, AE lock and AF. Then on the second menu page you can dertermine how long the meter stays on by selecting Metering timer.

The metering works while recording with my kit lens and vintage manual focus lenses. It just does not work properly with vintage manual focus lenses.
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Courtney View Post
Mark, just to clarify, the inaccurate metering occurs BOTH when taking stills and video?
Hi Aaron,

In the video mode, Canon EFS lenses meter accurately. Vintage manual focus lenses do not. I have tried Zeiss, Nikon, Vivitar, Zenitar, Helios and the list goes on, but the 60D will not meter accurately with any of those lenses in the video mode.

In the manual still mode the Canon EFS lens meters accurately. With vintage manual focus lenses I will expose for the meter to be at 0 and the exposure in the screen looks very dark, but when it shows the picture that was taken, it looks accurate. You can read Joel Ps posts about various setting when shooting stills with the live screen. When I shoot stills I use the viewfinder.

I am not nearly as concerned about stills as video since I do video for a living. Thanks for any input.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD