DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Indifocus mini - any instructions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/485465-indifocus-mini-any-instructions.html)

Dennis Stevens September 29th, 2010 07:26 PM

Indifocus mini - any instructions?

OK, this is why I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb.

I just got the indifocus mini from Indisystems for Canon 7D. I'm just trying to figure out it works. I mean, I know the little black gear wheel with teeth is supposed to engage the snap gears around the lens. I can see you need to put it on rails to make it work.

I have a indiRAILSpro XV sm on the way, but in the meantime I put it on some cinevate rails I have. it looks like that puts the little gear wheel on the outside, with the big rubber knob between the lens and the gear. It doesn't look like there is any other way to put it on.

Can anyone point me to either a very clear picture of how theirs is setup, or has anyone written up any instructions?

I like playing with gadgets, but this one has me beat. I see pictures on the web of people using the Indifocus mini with the 7D, I just can't tell from the picture how it's set up.

Ron Little October 1st, 2010 07:13 AM

Can you post a pic of your rig. I have one on my 7d maybe I can help.

Dennis Stevens October 2nd, 2010 05:16 AM

Thanks- I finally realized the gearbox could be unscrewed and turned around. I'll still post some pics, because I'm still having trouble having the gears on the FF mesh closely with the snapon gears.

Dennis Stevens October 2nd, 2010 08:17 AM

It seems like I figured it out - but those snap gears are really precarious. Sometimes it works, but I usually have to hold the camera still by hand, which seems to negate the use of the FF.

I'm using a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. It has a very small area to adjust focus - the snap gears are wider than the focus ring. If the snap gears on the lens, then the FF can't turn the focus. If the snap gears are not on the focus ring, it's really precarious and falls off much of the time.

I'm wondering what solutions other people are using? The rails are Indisystem's indiRAILSpro XV sm.

Dennis Stevens October 2nd, 2010 08:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attached pix of my setup-

Jon Braeley October 5th, 2010 06:10 AM

You cannot use the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens with follow focus - I am surprised you got close.

This lens is useless. The focus ring is very very tiny and sits at the edge of the lens. I don't know what Canon was thinking in releasing this lens - but at $100 it is popular.

You should upgrade this lens and then you would have no problems using FF. I do know some users place a rubber band around the lens rim but at best this sounds a poor workaround.

Dennis Stevens October 5th, 2010 01:10 PM

Thanks Jon. Well, I've taken some photos with that 50mm I liked. But yeah, pretty tiny focus ring for the FF.

Right now, I only have the kit lens and the 50mm. None of the snap gears fit the kit lens exactly. The FF includes little rubber strips with a sticky side, which I guess go on the inside of the snap gears until you get a snug fit.