mounting a monitor, but not on top at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mounting a monitor, but not on top

I've been using my 7D with both the Zacuto finder, and also a 7 inch monitor(not at the same time). I find the monitor better for holding focus, for with the Zacuto you are limited by the resolution of the camera's lcd. I also wear glasses, and if you don't press your face fully into the Zacuto, you miss the edges of the frame.

The only problem with the monitor is the placement. If the camera is at eye-level, and the monitor is on the hotshoe, it's a neck-strainer to view the screen. Does anybody have a good way to mount the monitor lower? Like directly behind the camera body, or even under-slung?
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Behind the camera isn't too workable as it makes this cameras 'difficult balance' even worst on a tripod, particularly when also using a longish zoom lens like a Canon 70-200.
The best place is at the side of the camera, which helps keep the centre-of-gravity right. Also if you see a pro cameramen following any action with a tripod mounted camera he'll stand pretty well beside the camera with it mounted lower than head height (looking down at his viewfinder) and pan the camera 'around' his body. That way he's not moving his body around the camera but the camera around himself...saves you falling over the tripod legs as well!
I have Manfrotto dual camera mounting bar that I screw to my rails and that carries the SmallHD monitor I use. Alas you need to improvise a mount that works for the rig you've got.
David T
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Major Player

If you have rails you can use a rail block and Noga Cine arm to position the monitor wherever you like.
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

A great solution if you have rails will be the "vocas monitor support" VOCAS SYSTEMS BV Item number: 0350-0410

Thanks.

Johnnie

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD