DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   will these lenses damage my 7d??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/486340-will-these-lenses-damage-my-7d.html)

Zack Whittington October 19th, 2010 01:32 PM

will these lenses damage my 7d???

I just bought the following lenses:

nikkor-n 24mm f2.8
kiron 105mm f2.8 macro

Does anyone know if those tabs near the glass will damage my 7d? I read that some people remove them on 5d's so they won't ruin the mirror or shutter.

Thanks!!

Bill Pryor October 19th, 2010 03:12 PM

I have the Nikkor 24mm f2.8. Some people said the flange would hit the mirror, others weren't sure. I decided to take no chances and had the flange cut off. I took it to a jeweler, and she ground it off perfectly smoothly in about 2 minutes. Looks like it came from the factory that way. None of my other Nikkor lenses had that flange that sticks out that far. I have no clue why that lens does. It works perfectly now.

When the flange was ground off, the edge was perfectly smooth, but it was shiny silver, since you could now see the bare metal. I used a felt tip black marker to cover up the shiny edge, thinking it could cause a light reflection.

Dylan Couper October 21st, 2010 10:08 AM

I rolled the dice and threw my Nikon 24 f2.8 right on the 7D... what's $1500? :)
It fit, no collision, no harm done. HOWEVER... I may have a different version than both of you so YMMV.

Bill Pryor October 22nd, 2010 03:34 PM

There are different versions of that lens. If yours looks like most other Nikkor lenses from the back, then it's safe. Mine had a portion of the flange that stuck out significantly farther than any of the other Nikkors.

Dylan Couper October 23rd, 2010 04:25 PM

Hey Bill, would you mind posting a pic of that for the safety of the rest of our cameras?

Bill Pryor October 24th, 2010 11:42 AM

Since the flange has been shaved off, a picture won't tell you anything. I guess I could do a shot of the lens and end of it so you can see exactly which one it is. All my gear is at the office but I'll try to do that next week. It always struck me as strange that that particular Nikkor lens had this flange that stuck out when all the other Nikkors don't have it. It didn't do anything, and cutting it off doesn't affect anything at all, except that I can safely use it on the Canon.

Chris Barcellos October 24th, 2010 12:37 PM

My 24mm lens had the same flange as Bill, and it did interfere with my 5D's mirror operation. I did a rather less delicate operation on the metal flange by grabbing it with a pair of pliers and just pealing it away from the body of the lens. I had only intended to test the strench fo the material, see how I was going to remove it, but it was very light and pliable material and came off easily.

Charles Dasher October 25th, 2010 09:05 AM

I have the Nikkor 24mm f/2. I gently covered the back of the lens with gaffing tape and lens paper and took the Dremmel to the protruding metal bit.

Zack Whittington October 25th, 2010 11:27 AM

I took care of 'em both this weekend. I also used my dremel tool and cut both flanges off. Better safe than sorry. The nikon took me a while, but the kiron's flange was a hard plastic. Just sliced through it. And that Kiron 105 macro is inCREDible...

My guess as to why the flange is there is to protect the rear elements, say (and I don't know why you would...) if you ever set it up right without a lens cap. It must angle it so the glass isn't touching the table.
2 cents.

Thanks for all the response, guys!

Bill Pryor October 25th, 2010 12:02 PM

They all have a flange that sticks out past the rear element just a bit, but this 24mm has a part of its regular flange, about 1/4 circle, that sticks out even more.