Work with 7D ?? -Kingston 32GB CompactFlash Ultimate 266x Card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Work with 7D ?? -Kingston 32GB CompactFlash Ultimate 266x Card

Kingston 32GB CompactFlash Ultimate 266x Card

I've read some places that this perticular card doesn't work in a 7D - anyone here using it with no problems? Or what is a comparable 32gb card?

Thanks
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Not good reports - Kingston rate very low.

You need UDMA marked CF cards - anything else is very risky. I never use Kingston.

I have great success with SanDisk Extreme and Transcend - the 400X version cards. I am currently shooting 8 hour days in China using these two makes and not one problem.

Also I only use 16Gb cards - I stay clear of 32Gb cards.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Major Player

I have four of them and they work pretty well. When they get near full you will start to get buffer over runs, but you get a warning usually before that happens most of the time.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have two of them and decided not to buy any more, what I get is this. If I film on a freshly formatted card there is no problem, so if I only use a third or half of the card, download those files, but do not format the card and start shooting again I get the buffer overrun most immediately.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Wrangler

For the price of Transcent 400x cards at B&H right now ($90?) it's not worth rolling the dice on it... though I have several 133x cards that work fine.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Ditto with the above post they work fine as long as they aren't too full. But I won't buy any more
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
For the price of Transcent 400x cards at B&H right now ($90?) it's not worth rolling the dice on it... though I have several 133x cards that work fine.
On another 7D forum, someone reported a full days shoot using Transcent and lost everything, the card was OK during filming as the person was reviewing shots during the day, then all the files became unreadable when they went to off load the card. Another reason I go with smaller capacity cards and use lots of them during a shoot.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
I have four of them and they work pretty well. When they get near full you will start to get buffer over runs, but you get a warning usually before that happens most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Pogson View Post
I have two of them and decided not to buy any more, what I get is this. If I film on a freshly formatted card there is no problem, so if I only use a third or half of the card, download those files, but do not format the card and start shooting again I get the buffer overrun most immediately.
These are clear signs that you cannot "count" on the card. This is a very good warning if you will heed it.

And if I ever see it I will never trust that card again. I'll "trash" it and take my "lumps".

The question you need ask yourself is this: How "content" with your bargain are you going to be if media that has given you or others this kind of warning...Loses video for you on a project that is important to you.

I pay the price for SanDisk, "swallow hard", and move on. I don't get warnings and so far have not had a "botched" file.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #9
Major Player

I have the 32GB Kingston 133x but only use it for indoor shooting. As soon as I bring it outdoor, it kept buffering most of the time.

As some have suggested, invest in Sandisk Extreme. Slightly more expensive, but it is reliable and is worth the price. I've heard of problems on the 32GB card too, so I'd recommend sticking to 16GB card as a maximum.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD