A quality zoom lens for the T2i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A quality zoom lens for the T2i?

So even though I have some good prime lenses, it's true that sometimes you just need a good Robert-Altman-pleasing zoom lens that maintains a constant aperture while zooming. I'm open to older manual lenses, so what's the best zoom lens that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but is the best combination of

-fast
-inexpensive
-sharp
-good zoom range

?

And while I'm at it, one that has an auto-focus fast enough to compete with video camera autofocusing? This is not essential since I'm used to doing everything manually, but I'm curious. All my prime lenses are useless for autofocusing while shooting video.

thanks!
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Major Player

You can't have all attributes, so pick the important ones. My son has the EF-S 15-85 IS, which is an excellent zoom lens (particularly when compared to the various kit zooms) with good IS and has a useful zoom range, but it is not fast.

I have the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, which is optically excellent, and fast, but it is not cheap. The build quality is so-so.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Trustee

as always it depends, 15-85mm is good outdoors, indoors my choice is 17-55mm, or 70-200mm 2.8 IS it's really hard to find fast and inexpensive, but I'd love to :)
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Though not quite what I'd consider fast, one of my favorite lenses is the 70-200 F4 L non-is. But it does meet your other requirements.
It's about $650. It's constant aperture so zooming during shooting works. It's got enough range to cover a wide variety of shots. It's very sharp. And it's light. Outdoors it's perfect and indoors, natural light requires a bump up of ISO but not to where it starts to affect quality. It can still get great bokeh at f4

The autofocus works great providing there's enough light. You can't do constant AF like a video camera so that's moot.
I have several L glass lenses and this is the one that seems to go on the camera much more than the others. The price and weight make it somewhat a hidden gem amongst all the IS lenses. I haven't missed the IS at all since when it gets called for video duty, it's on a tripod which means it should be shut off anyway.
My 2 cents!
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Other than a pretty substantial difference in autofocus, which is worth nothing when shooting video, the differences in image quality and build quality between the canon 17-55 2.8 IS and the Tamron 17-50 2.8 IS are SO far from the difference in price. Ever since I got my Tamron it pretty much hasn't come off my camera. Occasionally when I need a lot of light I will use my 50 1.8 but its just so inconvenient using it indoors.
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

That Tamron actually sounds pretty much like what I was looking for, if the image quality is as good as you say it is... only thing, when I look it up on line, I find a huge price range from 600 bucks down to $350. Is this the correct lens:

Tamron | SP AF 17-50/2.8 Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro WidEAngle Telephoto Zoom Lens For Digital SLR Cameras (67mm) *FREE SHIPPING* | AF016P700 | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer

if so, i might just have to go down and grab it! thanks!

thank you for the other lens recommendations, everyone. I'd say the 70-200 F4 gives me more zoom than I'll ever need with less speed, and the other suggestions don't seem to offer that much more to make the price tag worth it. I think. I'm open to criticism of the Tamron...
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The huge price range for Tamron 17-50 is due to two versions of the lens, one with VC (vibration control) one without. If you are filming a lot handheld, then VC is a must have. I think Tamron's VC is at least as effective as Canon's IS in non-L lenses, it makes image look like on a tripod.
One drawback of this lens is that both zoom and focus are opposite to Canon's directions.
Lee Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Trustee

What about the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS? This lens came with my Canon 550D kit. I don't know but I find that it delivers an impressive image quality.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...IS/index.shtml

Stelios

Last edited by Stelios Christofides; November 8th, 2010 at 01:30 AM.
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

There's nothing wrong with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm, but it isn't
what you'd call a fast lens. My suggestion would be the constant
aperture Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 -- it's just about the best lens
in the EF-S line in terms of quality vs. cost.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Trustee

Chris
What is a "constant aperture" lens and where do you use it. Does it mean that you cannot change the aperture?

Stelios
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Trustee

Just means that during zooms the aperture remains where you set it. It is still adjustable. This is critical for video applications where you might zoom. If it's not, you will end up with flickering and odd fluctuations in light during the zoom.
Most camcorders don't have constant aperture lenses but they are designed to deal with zooms smoothly. The dslrs don't have that ability.
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks Robert for your prompt reply.
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #13
Trustee

Gotta do something while i wait on renders! Ha ha!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD