what am i doing wrong?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 11th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

so you go higher shutter speed the 180 degree shutter rule of thumb?
Michael Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #17
Major Player

For some of this bike stuff I was going a lot higher, I think I was hitting 1000 for some shots (in a different video). It doesn't work for everything and the 180 degree 50/60 shutter rule is pretty good if you want stuff to look more "normal". I'm just kind of experimenting with different looks. Never hurts to try new things :)
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

/what lenses do you use burk?
Michael Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #19
Major Player

Burk

thats some of the best footage I have seen on the web. Your level of professionalism shines through on that. I see footage like that and wish I could watch the whole process from start to finish. i would like to watch to see how you maintain such clarity and color depth through the camera, then the NLE steps and final render settings. Beautiful work

. I never can shoot 24 and make it look that smooth. WoW
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #20
Major Player

Sorry for the mini hi-jack.

Thanks for the nice comments folks.

Lenses used for this video where the Tokina 11-16 2.8 & the Canon 70-200 2.8 L. I'm not doing anything special to get the look, there is no color grading on any of the footage (I did tweak the exposure on a couple shots). It's just whats coming out of the camera.

I've got nothing against color grading but I've been on this "try to get the look in camera" kick for a little bit. With nice lenses and trying to pick your shots & exposure carefully you can really nail some nice looks. A nice polarizer can help a bit as well.

Just FYI - 7D settings where:

Neutral
sharpness +1
contrast -3
Saturation -1
Color tone 0

White Balance was cloudy preset.

Hope that helps.
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I'm kind of agreeing here with Burk. In just the short amount of time I've spent with my T2i and the films I've made.... I was shooting with the supposed "Phillip Bloom" settings. which are pretty flat, toned down. However, I find my self boosting the saturation, contrast, etc. Why not just get it "in camera" right off the bat. With the demand for my business going up and up lately, I don't really have the time to go back and color grade "everything". As Burk said, with the right lenses, and practice... just gotta get the right lenses now!
Don Rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Why shoot flat? Idea is to get maximum exposure latitude, and avoid clipping of highlights and loss of detail in shadows. Detail will be gone forever from those shots. You will have more control in post as to what you are willing to keep in and let go.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:12 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Sorry Burk, I'm gonna make you hi-jack the thread one more time. Is your 70-200mm the IS version or are you using a monopod or tripod? Once again, fantastic footage...
Edward Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:02 AM   #24
Major Player

This 70-200 was the new L2.8 IS lens, it was a rental. I think all of the 70-200 stuff was shot from a tripod but I turn the IS off. It can make the shot "drift" a bit if you leave it on while using a tripod.

I completely agree with Chris on shooting flat. If you want to protect the highlights and shadow detail shooting flat is the best practice. That being said...

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience but the idea of shooting everything knowing I was going to have to go back and color grade every shot was just mentally exhausting. I love color grading but it's hugely time consuming and was getting in the way of just having fun shooting and editing. Knowing I was going to have pretty limited time to do these cross videos, and I'm just goofing around anyway, I figure why not try and nail the look as best I can in the camera.

I blew it sometimes but did pretty well for the bulk of it and learned a bunch. It also made it possible to actually bang these out each week.
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM   #25
Major Player

Hi Burk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burk Webb View Post
I don't know if anyone else has had this experience but the idea of shooting everything knowing I was going to have to go back and color grade every shot was just mentally exhausting...
Amen. I started out with the 'shoot flat' mindset but my goal now is to get the look right in the camera and have been using a high contrast/low sharpness setting. The less filters I have to apply in post means less time in the edit cave, a faster turnaround and more consistency. (It helps that I'm after a very life-like feel rather than a stylized look.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD