Installed Katzeye focus screen on 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Installed Katzeye focus screen on 7D

As I accumulate more manual lenses for the 7D (and t2i) I find manual focusing very difficult. I've been reading about Katzeye focusing screens that function like the older SLR's split prisms. I ordered one last weekend opting for the more expensive "Optibrite" treatment. The installation was a breeze but perhaps a little scary for someone that isn't mechanically inclined on a mini-scale. It took me about 15 minutes time and I believe I could do it in 5 if needed again. The instructions were excellent, but one detail I think they could have added was to use a magnetic screwdriver to hold onto the tine screws (fortunately mine was). The screen is very brite, and the autofocus seems to work fine. Several other reviewers commented that the split screen is useful for calibrating the AF. So far my tests seem to show the AF and manual overlap exactly, so not an issue on my copy.

Looking forward to taking the lenses out the next few days and giving this improvement a workout.

Last edited by Roger Shealy; November 13th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Trustee

I always liked a split-focus screen, bu t don't you lose the optical viewfinder when shooting video?
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Major Player

On the 7D and t2i the mirror flips up to expose the sensor when taking video. You can use the viewfinder before starting video if using Quick-Focus, but once you start, the viewfinder goes dark and everything is via the LCD screen.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD