DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon 7D footage graded with Magic Bullet Mojo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/487494-canon-7d-footage-graded-magic-bullet-mojo.html)

Ben Tolosa November 14th, 2010 10:40 PM

Canon 7D footage graded with Magic Bullet Mojo

Hi there,

I am doing some research about the endless topic of 'film look'. Specifically about tools that do most of the job for you. I use a Canon 7D and I edit with Final Cut Pro.

I came across this software / plug in called 'Magic Bullet Mojo' and I am kind of blown away by the results I found. I watched several videos online but just these top two kind of sold it to me:

YouTube - ww2 short film canon 550D standard footage no effects no mojo HD

YouTube - ww2 short film canon eos 550D test magic bullet mojo war 1.2 HD

YouTube - Magic Bullet Mojo test, on Canon 7d Footage

YouTube - The Luscious Life Trailer (7D Film)

Anyone with experience using this software on your 7D footage??

Input very much appreciated!!

Jon Braeley November 15th, 2010 07:01 AM

You should look at the much more powerful Magic Bullet Looks - more expensive but worth it.

I have been using Looks for a long time now - you can use simple presets or like I do, concoct your own recipes. I think Mojo is just one type of preset taken from Looks and you will quickly tire of this preset. Also it will not apply to all of your footage - so how do you grade the rest of your story to match? Every time I see Mojo its the same warm filtered look.

Burk Webb November 15th, 2010 09:50 AM

I like Mojo, it is a bit of a one trick pony but it is designed that way. It's basically a way to get that "teal"look on your footage without messing up skin tones. I used it on a silly zombie short, it's great at washing out the zombies but keeping your "humans" skin tones normal. The blood really comes through as well!

Only thing I don't like is it kicks the contrast up a bit. Great plug for what it does.

Jonathan Shaw November 16th, 2010 12:17 AM

Download the trial for looks and see what you think. I like it alot and think it is well worth the money for the time that you save trying to get the specific looks in Apple color..... However saying that, if you can drive color I reckon that is a much more powerful tool.

Ben Tolosa November 17th, 2010 10:06 PM

Thanks guys!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 1588153)
You should look at the much more powerful Magic Bullet Looks - more expensive but worth it.

I have been using Looks for a long time now - you can use simple presets or like I do, concoct your own recipes. I think Mojo is just one type of preset taken from Looks and you will quickly tire of this preset. Also it will not apply to all of your footage - so how do you grade the rest of your story to match? Every time I see Mojo its the same warm filtered look.

I have looked at Looks. It looks very powerful, but I to use Color and can do some basic color corrections with it. Do you know if Looks operate and have the SAME pre settings as Mojo? You you probably can get them through it, but does Looks have the skin tones versatility / nob that Mojo has?

Thanks for your advice :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb (Post 1588203)
I like Mojo, it is a bit of a one trick pony but it is designed that way. It's basically a way to get that "teal"look on your footage without messing up skin tones. I used it on a silly zombie short, it's great at washing out the zombies but keeping your "humans" skin tones normal. The blood really comes through as well!

Only thing I don't like is it kicks the contrast up a bit. Great plug for what it does.

Hi Burk,

Well, what I read and saw sold it to me. 99 buck it is not that bad compared with other pieces of software out there. I know you can do more with other software like Looks or Colorista II, but ALL I am looking for is a quick tool to give me that 'film' look.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with it. Very helpful to my decision of purchasing it.

The best to you!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw (Post 1588451)
Download the trial for looks and see what you think. I like it alot and think it is well worth the money for the time that you save trying to get the specific looks in Apple color..... However saying that, if you can drive color I reckon that is a much more powerful tool.

I am decent with Color. And all I am looking for is that 'film' look. That's it. Do you see any benefit on my case to still pursue Looks? If so, I'll give it a shot to the trial version. But if not, it'll save me the time and money just go grab Mojo.

Thanks for the advice Jonathan!!

David Lavender November 26th, 2010 10:52 AM

I have Mojo and Looks, and I use Mojo more often. Looks does offer far more tweaks and sliders, and if I knew more about CCing, I'd probably use Looks more. However, most of the time, if the shot is well-exposed, I can dial in Mojo to do exactly what I want it to. For me, it's much faster, but again, I don't claim to be a CC wiz.

Though the Mojo preset does give a very identifiable look, you can adjust it to punch less, warm more, iso skin tones, etc.

Ben Tolosa November 28th, 2010 12:08 AM

Thank you David

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lavender (Post 1592294)
I have Mojo and Looks, and I use Mojo more often. Looks does offer far more tweaks and sliders, and if I knew more about CCing, I'd probably use Looks more. However, most of the time, if the shot is well-exposed, I can dial in Mojo to do exactly what I want it to. For me, it's much faster, but again, I don't claim to be a CC wiz.

Though the Mojo preset does give a very identifiable look, you can adjust it to punch less, warm more, iso skin tones, etc.

Hey, thanks.

I've got it for FCP and I played with it a little bit. I truly liked it! I think the 'Mojito' preset is my favorite. It is also the Mojo's creator's (and director) favorite preset as well. That is what he mentions on the training tutorial.

All the presets are for different situations and for different needs. But 'Mojito' and 'Mojo Default' gives me exactly what I was looking for.

I am a very happy customer and the price is very reasonable as well IMHO ($99).

Have a great weekend David!